Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gizmo22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Midwest USA
Reference this thread for the start...

In summary, had an early 2009 17" Macbook Pro with Matte screen, 640GB, 4 GB memory, etc. and a Speck satin case.

Through the local Craigslist I ended up getting an early 2011 13" Macbook Pro, i5 2.3, 320GB, 4GB, so on and so forth. Also received an iPad 2 16 GB wifi as well. Straight up trade, my 2009 17" MBP for their 2011 13" MBP and iPad 2.

What do ya think? I have found I greatly miss the matte screen as my reflection is always showing up in the data sheets I'm looking at, but other than that, I love it.

My second question runs off of that...I have a 80GB Intel X25 G2 SSD and 8GB 1333 G. Skill memory. I couldn't run the 1333 memory in the 2009, but the 2011 works it just fine. I now have the 80GB SSD installed as well.

Is there anything else I ought to be looking for (other than a larger SSD)? I believe all current Apple computers are limited to SATA III right?

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
What do ya think? ...but other than that, I love it.
Sounds like you answered your own question.

Besides... whatever anyone else thinks... would that change how you feel about the swap? Would the gear you got in the trade work any differently? Also it's worth noting this is s done deal. All water under the bridge.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bottom line - If you love it, then its a good deal.

Upgrading the ram and storage is really your only options and it appears you have done this.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
As I understand it, he doesn't want to know what others THINK about the deal, but rather if he made an economically sound deal or not. As in, was his 17" worth more or less than what he got for it?

But, as someone said, there's no point in asking afterwards - the deal has been made.

mfuchs88

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2011
At this point, I wouldnt even want to know because if you're happy, then you can't really get any happier. But if people say you made a bad deal, you get buyers remorse. I think you made a good deal and should forget about what others think because it could cause you to be upset if it's not what you like. Enjoy your new babies! :)

Gizmo22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Midwest USA
As I understand it, he doesn't want to know what others THINK about the deal, but rather if he made an economically sound deal or not. As in, was his 17" worth more or less than what he got for it?

But, as someone said, there's no point in asking afterwards - the deal has been made.

This, precisely. I am still interested in knowing, despite the deal having been made, because I keep an Excel database of funds invested into technology related items.

I'm happy with the deal. The 13" feels like a netbook compared to moving around the 17". That said, I live in a very liberal, hippie-esque college city where people buy G5s for 200% of their value. I think I could have sold the 17" for a good chunk...$300 to $400 more than it was worth. The 13" I could maybe get $1000...maybe $1100...despite its true value being closer to $850 or $900.

Last edited:

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
Its a pretty good deal. The 13" is a capable machine and once you get used to the size you'll be really happy with it. Also the new processor will show you a performance boost that you'll enjoy. I would upgrade the RAM, I have 8GB in my 2011 13" and it flies right along. The fact that you got an iPad 2 is just icing on the cake in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.