Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
I have a Nikon D50 and i love it, but i have ben using the kit lens that it came with(18-55) and that has worked OK i guess, but I wanted to buy a better lens. i want to upgrade this lens first
so:

What Brand?

What Model?

How much is it gonna cost?

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
How much are you looking to spend?
If you're looking for something top of the line and in the same focal range, you can get the 17-55 f/2.8, or (slightly longer) 28-70 f/2.8. You're looking some serious dough though.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
How much are you looking to spend?
If you're looking for something top of the line and in the same focal range, you can get the 17-55 f/2.8, or (slightly longer) 28-70 f/2.8. You're looking some serious dough though.

I want to spent no more than $250 even less if that is even possible for take close-up shots like portraits and such. i already have a 55-200 lens

Lovesong

macrumors 65816
Basically there are three lens price ranges-

There is the kit lens price range- and Westside guy is right- the 55-200, and the 18-55 are probably your best bet. You can go and spend some money on something like the 28-80 f/3.3-5.6, 28-105 f/3.5-4.5, or the 24-85, which will not be that great of upgrades, and basically you'll be spending money without much improvements.

There is the midrange lens prices, which range from $400 to $1000, and include the all-purpose 18-200, 24-120, and the 80-200 f/2.8. That's clearly out of your price range, but the glass you get is head and shoulders above the rest.

If you want the best out of your camera, and have money to burn, you can go for either of the lenses I suggested in my first post, or the 70-200 VR. Mind you these cost $1000+.

Your only other cheaper option to get better than the lenses you have, is to go prime. Prime lenses are much sharper and faster than any of the other lenses (even the high-end ones), but you will lose the flexibility of a zoom.

So, yeah- welcome to SLR photography. Glass is the most expensive thing here. Good news is that if you decide to wait, save your pennies for a while, and get some good stuff, you'll have it long after that D50 bites the dust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.