Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bld44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
My wallet officially hates me. My new Nikon 18-200mm VR came in today. This thing is amazing.

18200mm2.jpg

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I think he means get the D40 off of "Auto" exposure mode and use something more "photographic", i.e., M or A (Aperture priority).

Anyway... gorgeous lens, and looks good on the D40. I think it would look even better on my D40x though... donations?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Wow, I didn't realize how small the D40 is! I have the 18-200mm (LOVE it!), and use it on my D70. I know the photo's perspective might be a bit misleading, but it looks like your D40 is 50% smaller than my D70!

If I can find my other camera, I'll post a picture for comparison.

You will LOVE that lens!!

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I can't stand the "Auto" mode on cameras... even when I'm really, really lazy I'll put it on P (auto aperture and speed)... usually set to A or S (aperture or shutter priority, respectively)

I think it's an insult to the DSLR's pro background to use one of the sports/portrait/landscape modes

bld44

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2007
I have really had good experience with the auto mode for casual stuff. When I'm done when the camera out of habit I seem to always put it back onto the green auto dial. Not really sure why, I guess I'm a little obsessive compulsive, and its nice incase somebody else in the house wants to use it and doesn't have to worry about it being in a manual or semi-manual mode.

I have yet to figure out the P mode, I seem to always get an over-exposed image (of people) even if I adjust the exposure compensation.

As for a status update, so far the lens has been excellent. I haven't got much use yet as it has been raining here a lot lately. Much heavier than I would have expected, but I really love the M/A focus mode and the lens is very well designed. Much more convenient than always switching lenses, so I'm glad I got it. Now if I could just get my eyes off of a micro 105mm VR...:rolleyes:

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
nice lens, I want one too for my d70s.

Nothing wrong with auto settings I guess. let the camera work for you :)

It's like driving a car with an automatic gearbox, or should we change to stick to be pro drivers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.