Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwalsh16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Ok ok well i know that there are always new threads about which lens should i buy and so on i was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this lens?

Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
People generally recommend the VR version of this lens and rate it highly. I would guess that the lenses are basically the same otherwise. The VR gives most people sharper results in most situations because of the vibration reduction. I have not compared them myself, so am just going with what reviewers are saying and that seems to be the consensus.

My bad. It is the 18-200 I was thinking of. The 55-200 does get good reviews and isn't nearly so expensive. It is a good addition if you already have the kit lens and don't want to spend $750. The VR feature is very nice for those longer lenses, but is spendy.

chriscorbin

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Vallejo, CA
Take it from me GET THE VR VERSION! I own this lens, it is currently the longest lens in my bag and it is nothing to write hem about. too slow to use it for an indoor basketball game or a wedding reception. what i would recommend is something a little faster or the VR version might help with some blurring

georgemann

macrumors regular
I have the newest VR version of this lens and although it is more expensive it is well worth the extra cost, you would have to spend at least double the price to get anything better.

Bottom line this is a very nice lens and well worth buying if you have the 18-55 kit lens, but you need the VR to shoot in anything but direct sunlight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.