Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Selchuk.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2021
Hi folks,

Who can inform me about the M1 pro & m1 max SSD lifespan? as IOPS or TBW value? Does anyone know? I am really concerned about SSD lifespan and there is no information anywhere about that subject.

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
Its a function of what your use case is. Given you haven't mentioned it, I'd suggest you should have no concerns about ssd longevity. Users that use apps that mercilessly beat drives know it.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The SSD will outlast the life of your computer.
This is a good question, but the MacBook pro's (especially the MAX) is focused towards Video or Content Creators who will use the internal SSD for rendering 4-8K etc. I am also curious as to how long will it last given the extensive video rendering etc. Any ideas?

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
I think SSDs last at least ten years.
There's a TBW written total capacity, after which an SSD is running on borrowed time. So it depends how much one writes to the SSD. With 8 GB of memory and moderately intense usage, there's a huge amount of swap written to the M1 SSD. My Mac Mini with 512 GB SSD (probably 300 TB TBW endurance) is already at 10 TB a few weeks in. I'm worried.

jfabs

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
I also interested in knowing the TBW for an M1 Pro/Max. Anyone know where this info would be available?

Jára Tyky

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
I made research last week and count it for 1TB SSD. The result was that it will last more years than I will be alived. So I think people underestimate these SSD swaps.

But I will stay with Max, as I do not like to have everythink perfect ?

jfabs

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
I made research last week and count it for 1TB SSD. The result was that it will last more years than I will be alived. So I think people underestimate these SSD swaps.

But I will stay with Max, as I do not like to have everythink perfect ?
Oh good to hear! Where are the results of your research?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.