Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ComanWilson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Nashvill, TN
I am an ameture photographer using Apeture 3 and photoshop for my post production work. I'm currently using a 13 inch Macbook pro, however I'm looking to move to a desktop.

Does anyone think that the specs for the new minis will be able to handle the work?

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Just doing quick comparison of the specs (and assuming you have the lowest end MBP with nothing added) the new Mac Mini is pretty much a 13" MacBook Pro just in a different form.

They have the same graphics card and processor but the MBP comes with more RAM.

So, if you just want to go from laptop to desktop I'd do this instead: get an external monitor, keyboard and mouse and not a new computer.

If you're finding your computer to be a bit slow I'd get something more powerful, which a Mac Mini is not.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I'm also interested in the new Mac mini, or was ever since the price went up £150!

I'm not sure what to buy now with my limited funds. A Mac Mini with 2 x500GB drives in a RAID seemed a perfect way to go vs my old 2Ghz Dual Core MacBook.

The money spent on the top end Mini could be swapped for a base level iMac now, but I have the keyboard, mouse and monitor! Now I'm not so sure what to buy.

In any case, the performance of one of these Mac minis has to be better than my current machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.