Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rscott788

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Just curious how the new MacBook handles iMove and Photos.

I have a 2012 11 inch MacBook air with 8 MB of RAM and the i7. It runs well, but my eyes are starting to go and I'm looking to get a new machine.

I mostly use my laptop for work, using a lot Word, Outlook and Excel. However, since it's my personal computer I use it for browsing the internet as well. I also use it for photo storage and making pretty basic home movies (adding transitions, cutting clips and adding music).

With that in mind, I'm curious how iMovie and Photos runs on this year's MacBook. I'm looking at the M7 processor.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Russell

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
Horsepower wise it will run iMovie easily. If you can get used to the small screen you won't have any issues. I tried the Macbook for 13 days and while it was ok I returned it. For Final Cut Pro work I much prefer the large display of the iMac - so much easier on my eyes.

rscott788

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
Thanks. I am concerned with horsepower. As for the screen, I'm currently using an 11 inch macbook air, so it will be a step up.

rrm998

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
Houston, TX USA
I use iMove on a 2016 m7 pretty regularly. Editing is very smooth up to and including 4K. When it's time to save your final movie file is when things slow down. As I test I cut together a 44 minute DVD quality movie and that took about 2 hours to render. Movies of a minute or two are fine (to me) as they take 2-3 minutes.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Just curious how the new MacBook handles iMove and Photos.

I have a 2012 11 inch MacBook air with 8 MB of RAM and the i7. It runs well, but my eyes are starting to go and I'm looking to get a new machine.

I mostly use my laptop for work, using a lot Word, Outlook and Excel. However, since it's my personal computer I use it for browsing the internet as well. I also use it for photo storage and making pretty basic home movies (adding transitions, cutting clips and adding music).

With that in mind, I'm curious how iMovie and Photos runs on this year's MacBook. I'm looking at the M7 processor.

Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Russell
I still have an old MBA 11" 2012 I7 lying around :)

The new rMB will be a tad snappy more from the faster SSD/mem than pure processing power, it will certainly be a lot quieter as these old MBA fans are noisy by todays standards, however I would not say your gaining for your eyesight as simply bigger text will always be easier but given the text will be sharper on the rMB and you can run it at a low scaling will give you options with crisper results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.