Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galfridus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
My 2010 MacBook Pro is starting to show its age, and I'm thinking about a new one. Unfortunately, it seems like it's hard to get >1 TB disk capacity. I replaced the DVD drive with a 2TB drive in my existing laptop, so I am spoiled with 3 TB right now. Is there any way to approach that on the new MacBooks?

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Shortly after I bought my 512 GB rMBP I purchased an external SSD, Samsung's T1 in the 1 TB capacity, and it works very nicely to stash everything that I don't need on a daily basis but still need to access from time to time: photos, documents, non-iTunes movies, etc., etc. I plug in the external SSD when I need something and it is very fast and responsive. When I'm done, I simply unplug and put away the device, although of course it is possible to keep it plugged in all the time as well, and some people do just that. Now Samsung has just newly released a 2 TB SSD, the T3, and at some point I'll probably be purchasing one of those as well to use either as an additional supplementary drive or as a backup drive. I also use other (non-SSD) external drives specifically for backup, too, of course.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
My 2010 MacBook Pro is starting to show its age, and I'm thinking about a new one. Unfortunately, it seems like it's hard to get >1 TB disk capacity. I replaced the DVD drive with a 2TB drive in my existing laptop, so I am spoiled with 3 TB right now. Is there any way to approach that on the new MacBooks?

No way at all.

You may want to wait for the new ones to come out they might offer bigger capacities but I wouldn't bet on it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Unfortunately, it seems like it's hard to get >1 TB disk capacity.
You're stuck with what apple provides for storage, and I think 1TB is it. The other option is to go the external drive route.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
You can also go the NAS route and put a few TB of storage on your network. With 802.11ac, the speed would be decent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.