Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
EDIT: New Question added.

Hello everyone,

I just received my MacBook Pro in the mail today -- I'm pretty excited and still setting everything up (apps, settings, downloading stuff, etc.). I'm *REALLY* happy with the experience so far; everything just feels so smooth and nice (especially when using the keyboard, I love the "feeling" of it). I haven't had my own Mac since from '06 to 2010, so I kind of forgot what it's like. I love it now that I'm back.

Anyhow, as I'm setting up my new MacBook Pro, I have a few questions.

- I ordered my MacBook Pro to be able to use graphic-intensive applications, so I got one with a good GPU and a good amount of VRAM. Which is the preferred application/way to switch from the integrated Intel GPU, to my dedicated Nvidia card? The Mac, I've heard, doesn't always make the best choice in switching between cards, so I want to have absolute control over which card is in use, and be able to switch at any time (i.e. switch to the Nvidia card for gaming).

- Which is the preferred app for fan control?

- What is the best, free screen recorder/screen shot program? I'll occasionally want to record videos of my screen when I'm playing a game or doing a task.

I'm assuming that the two apps I'm looking for won't be full of viruses or cause serious (or any) harm to my MacBook. Also, I don't want either of these applications using up too many resources (I don't want to switch graphics cards when gaming, only for the app that controls it to eat up my CPU and/or RAM).

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated :)

P.S. I might add more questions as I get further through the process of settings my MBP up to my needs.

Last edited:

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
GfxCardStatus is a great app, sits in the Menubar with the notifications. You can set it to Intergated only, Discreet only or Dynamic. In Dynamic you see notifications which tell you when the GPU swaps and the icon in the Menubar will show as an I or D depending which is in use.

Doubt you'll find anyone else recommend a different app for this purpose (not even sure if there is one), as it's a favourite on here, is light on resources and most definitely malware free.

http://gfx.io/

Fan wise there are a few choices. SMC Fan Control is fairly simple and straight forward, if you want more details than iStat.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
GfxCardStatus is a great app, sits in the Menubar with the notifications. You can set it to Intergated only, Discreet only or Dynamic. In Dynamic you see notifications which tell you when the GPU swaps and the icon in the Menubar will show as an I or D depending which is in use.

Doubt you'll find anyone else recommend a different app for this purpose (not even sure if there is one), as it's a favourite on here, is light on resources and most definitely malware free.

http://gfx.io/

Fan wise there are a few choices. SMC Fan Control is fairly simple and straight forward, if you want more details than iStat.

Ahh okay thanks. I knew that the gfxCardStatus thing existed but I just forgot what it was called. I'm assuming it's safe to download and install?

Also, which would you recommend as far as fan control? I'm no hardcore fan person, I'm mainly just looking for one that will allow me to monitor the basics such as RPM, my computers temperature (so I can see if it's getting hotter or cooler), and occasionally set the fan speed if I must.

SMC Fan Control is the only one I've previously heard of, so I'm most likely to go with that.

EDIT: Should I put gfcCardStatus in Applications or in Utilities (which is within Applications)?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Ahh okay thanks. I knew that the gfxCardStatus thing existed but I just forgot what it was called. I'm assuming it's safe to download and install?

Also, which would you recommend as far as fan control? I'm no hardcore fan person, I'm mainly just looking for one that will allow me to monitor the basics such as RPM, my computers temperature (so I can see if it's getting hotter or cooler), and occasionally set the fan speed if I must.

I prefer iStat menus. You can add useful things (beside RPM/CPU Temp) such as HDD temp, memory usage, network speed.
I also have disk activity graph and CPU usage in the menu bar.

It's also clickable so you get a nifty detailed dropdown menu like all the sensor or detailed disk activity or CPU processes or RAM usage.
It also has a comprehensive fan control if you need it. Also accessible via the same dropdown on the temps/rpm.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam

SMC Fan Control is the only one I've previously heard of, so I'm most likely to go with that.

EDIT: Should I put gfcCardStatus in Applications or in Utilities (which is within Applications)?

SMCFanControl is the thing you want. It will even allow you to create presets that throttle the fan more aggressively if you want to.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
United States
SMCFanControl is the thing you want. It will even allow you to create presets that throttle the fan more aggressively if you want to.

Yeah, I was probably going to go with SMC Fan Control anyhow. Do you know where the official place to download it is? I prefer not to download things from 3rd party vendors (i.e. Softonic, etc.), but I'd rather download it from the developer's website.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK

SMC Fan control does not give you CPU temps. Edit - Talking nonsense, can't think of why I said this.

I could be wrong but I think this is the developer's download site: http://www.eidac.de

Straight in Applications, not Utilities.

Last edited:

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
SMC fan control does indeed show the CPU temp right next to the fan speed in the menu bar.

R

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.