Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yeahiiii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Hey,

I am planning to buy a new Macbook Pro MF839d/a (Early 2015). Does anyone know if its still possible to install El Capitan on those machines? I would like to have a dual boot between Sierra and El Capitan since some of my software no longer works with Sierra. We have another Macbook Pro (real Early 2015, bought right away back then), which was sold with Yosemite. I therefore hope the new Early 2015 still works at least with El Capitan.

Best,
Dominik

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Hey,

I am planning to buy a new Macbook Pro MF839d/a (Early 2015). Does anyone know if its still possible to install El Capitan on those machines? I would like to have a dual boot between Sierra and El Capitan since some of my software no longer works with Sierra. We have another Macbook Pro (real Early 2015, bought right away back then), which was sold with Yosemite. I therefore hope the new Early 2015 still works at least with El Capitan.

Best,
Dominik

Unless you're using virtualization, you can't install an earlier OS than the Mac shipped with.

In this case, the early 2015 should dual boot any combo of Yosemite/ElCapitan/Sierra just fine.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13" (mine is the "840" model, with a 256gb drive instead of 128gb).
I bought it "new in December 2016", shows a July build date, and it came with El Capitan pre-installed.

You should have no problems running El Cap on the "839" model.
If it comes with Sierra pre-installed, I suggest you create a bootable USB flash drive using the El Cap installer.
Then boot from the installer, erase the internal drive, and reinstall El Cap onto it.

I believe that only the 2016 models -require- Sierra...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.