Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jdizzle188

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 22, 2020
Good morning to the community,

New M1 Pro MacBook owner, after waiting two months for my order to come into store, I finally got a day off work to open and set it up only to find the screen was smudged and the charger would randomly make the plugged in sound, guttered was an understatement, luckily the store I purchased from then had some in stock for pickup, thankfully got it exchanged, everything appart from what seemed like glue residue on the lid was great (Gyeon quick detailer got rid of the marks!) 😂

Which leaves me with a couple of questions:

Firstly Magsafe 3 is ridiculously strong, I've found the way of pulling the plug up or down to disconnect from the computer but what best ways are you all using to prevent scratching it every time you plug in?

Secondly when I've transferred my Apple music library over using a time machine back up, a few of the tracks from Apple music are appearing with an exclamation mark next to them, would this be a case of opening with the option / command and selecting my previous library?

Thank you in advance for any help or input on this!

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Good morning to the community,

New M1 Pro MacBook owner, after waiting two months for my order to come into store, I finally got a day off work to open and set it up only to find the screen was smudged and the charger would randomly make the plugged in sound, guttered was an understatement, luckily the store I purchased from then had some in stock for pickup, thankfully got it exchanged, everything appart from what seemed like glue residue on the lid was great (Gyeon quick detailer got rid of the marks!) 😂

Which leaves me with a couple of questions:

Firstly Magsafe 3 is ridiculously strong, I've found the way of pulling the plug up or down to disconnect from the computer but what best ways are you all using to prevent scratching it every time you plug in?

Secondly when I've transferred my Apple music library over using a time machine back up, a few of the tracks from Apple music are appearing with an exclamation mark next to them, would this be a case of opening with the option / command and selecting my previous library?

Thank you in advance for any help or input on this!
Welcome! :) I just got my own 14" MBP last week and am loving it.

Personally I've never had issues with the charger scratching anything. I suppose over the years it may to a small degree, but I have always basically just lifted the connector up which basically makes it act like a hinge with the magnet and so any scratching I believe is minimized that way. But it also hasn't been something I've really been conscious of.

As for Apple Music, none of my tracks (imported from iTunes, I was on an older OS) had exclamation mark issues. But from what I remember from earlier days, what I would guess happened is that (a) the files somehow didn't get backed up properly on your latest Time Machine backup, in which case I'd manually go locate them on your old computer (or in Time Machine) and copy over, or (b) maybe you had them on some other drive that wasn't TM backed-up but it was still in your Music library and it just didn't get brought over.

If most of your music files imported properly, and only a few are missing, I don't think it's an issue of needing to hold option and manually select a different library folder. I would think it's more an issue of track files being stored outside of where Time Machine backed up, in which case my first suggestion is look on the old computer and try to manually track down the files or just copy them from Music onto a flash drive and over to the new computer.

Reactions: Jdizzle188
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.