Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livenplay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2018
Hi,

are there someone who can share their experience with the new MacBook Pro 2018 (13 or/and 15) ?

Last few years I was using the 13' early 2015 MBP model i5 2.7 GHz with 8Gb RAM and 128 SSD + external monitor and it did pretty well for development with Xcode and Android Studio, but now I would like to upgrade and hesitating between the two options:

New MBP 2018 13' i7 2,7 GHz (4 cores), 16 GB RAM, 512 SSD &
New MBP 2018 15' i7 2,6 GHz (6 cores), 16 GB RAM, 512 SSD

The difference in a price is not big, but I'm afraid that the difference in performance and user experience can be noticeable.
Would appreciate hearing about your experience and thoughts, thanks.

tomscott1988

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2009
UK
TBH if you have been getting by on a mid tier 13 anything currently will be a huge upgrade.

Depends how you use it. If your on the go a lot you will appreciate the 13. 15 can be too big for on the go, it wont fit on a tray table on a plane or train particularly well. Same if you use it as a media consumption device on downtime 15 is unwieldy in your lap compared to a 13.

If your at the desk I would probably be looking at a desktop as they are similar price you get a far bigger better display and often more capable, GPU for example benches twice that of the 15.

I tend to prefer and ultra book when im on the go and a powerful desktop when at the desk. I use a macbook on the go as they are capable in terms of editing but not rendering then a mac pro at the desk.

Depends on how you like to work.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The difference in a price is not big, but I'm afraid that the difference in performance and user experience can be noticeable.
Would appreciate hearing about your experience and thoughts, thanks.
The difference will be large, because you have more ram, cores, and a dGPU on the 15"

Personally, I prefer the 15" because I get more bang for my buck, and for me, I really like the 15" screen. I've found the 13" too small for my needs

Reactions: livenplay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.