Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Certainly I couldn't any evidence of them in the Solihull store. What I did see was blank spaces where I assume the 11" MBA used to be. It appears to be a consistent feature of every new release - no demo stock.

Seems we have to rely on reviews as the retail experience is becoming a joke.

jamies90

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
London, UK
Non touch bar models are/were available for pick up from Covent Garden and Regent St this morning.

Regent St also had a touch bar model on display in a glass case.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
How do you guys check, you literally go to the store and see it, or can you check on their site somehow if they have demo models?

[edit] Called Apple Amsterdam, and they weren't interested in picking up. Guess I won't be checking them out today.

Last edited:

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Agreed. The "shipping in 4-6 weeks" just after a major product announcement is pushing it. They should have waited another few weeks to announce it and have it ready to go within a week.

With such a long shipping timeframe, perhaps one of the reasons you don't see demo models in-store is for staff to avoid obnoxious questions like, "Well if you've got demo models, why does it take a month to get my hands on one?" or "Can I pleeeeeeeease just buy the demo model?"

At the same time, having previous-gen product in store just after a major announcement is embarrassing, and would probably raise a lot more obnoxious questions as well.

I now understand and appreciate why one's of Apple's previous keys to success was being able to get new products to their customers as quickly as possible after they are unveiled.

jamies90

macrumors regular
May 24, 2009
London, UK
How do you guys check, you literally go to the store and see it, or can you check on their site somehow if they have demo models?

You can see if the non touch bar model is in stock by checking the pick up option when you add it to your basket on the Apple Store.

Sadly I don't think there's a way of checking whether a store has them on display.

Reactions: Floris

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
It'll probably be another week before they're up. That was the case with the 2016 MacBook.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I checked available for pick up -> zip code -> Amsterdam -> Pick up available on December 2nd.
So 4 weeks.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
What the hell does it matter if they are behind glass or not. Common Apple.
Let those who dump 3000 or 4000 euro on your machines at least touch it.
It's how you know you get what you pay for.

Oh, let's remove the kensington locks from iPhones , but.. put the mbp behind glass.

pshifrin

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
They may not be on display, but they are in stock at some stores. I was in the mall this afternoon with my 7 year old son, who wanted to check out the xbox at the MS store (sorry!!) and then I dragged him to the Apple Store (White Plains, NY) to see if the base 13s were on display. I had ordered an upgraded 13 and wanted to try the keyboard and check out the screen in person. There were none on display. However... I noticed a customer unboxing one and going through setup. So, even though they are not on display they are there for purchase.

Funny thing at the MS store, a woman ran in frantic "where's the Apple Store" and they kindly directed her.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
None at the stores near me either. And they aren't sure when they are coming in. I already ordered mine but, I kind of wanted to check out the space grey; for a little validation I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.