Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Florida
After a fair amount of time spent reading reviews, and threads here at MR and elsewhere, I bought the D40. I was excited to get the camera, and ran out to purchase an SD card for it. The CSR at Nikon, USA, did not inform me that I needed to reformat the card before using it, and yes, it is ultimately my fault for only skimming the manual before proceeding to use the camera.

I shot about 23 photos --- the camera takes great pictures, btw --- but I am unable to save the images to my MacBook (I am running Tiger). I can't copy, save as, or edit the pictures in any way. And yes, I did install the software onto my computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can retrieve the images before I reformat the card? I would really, really, really hate to lose my photos thru my sheer stupidity.

Thanks

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Will the card mount in finder? Use disk utility when its plugged in to see what its actually doing. You can look through the folder structure yourself to find the images. I don't think it would make any difference using a card reader rather than plugging the camera in, but you could try.

Do the photos show up on the camera when you push the play button?

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
If you shot in RAW and are trying to view them in Tiger, it may not be able to read them. I can't remember if Tiger was able to view my D40 RAW files or not.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Florida
Will the card mount in finder? Use disk utility when its plugged in to see what its actually doing. You can look through the folder structure yourself to find the images. I don't think it would make any difference using a card reader rather than plugging the camera in, but you could try.

Do the photos show up on the camera when you push the play button?

Yes to both. I was able to download the pictures and viewed them on my computer. I just wasn't able to save the images, or edit them in any way. Each time, a prompt appears that stated that the image could not be saved.

If you shot in RAW and are trying to view them in Tiger, it may not be able to read them. I can't remember if Tiger was able to view my D40 RAW files or not.

I don't think that I shot in raw. I am using the factory settings, I haven't changed anything at all. I am also shooting in auto as I have not had a chance to read the manual completely and I am a novice, to be honest.

It has been suggested to me that I try using a PC instead, as Macs can be "sensitive".

Thanks for the quick replies....

Jude

TheStrudel

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2008
Mounting the card as you would a hard drive, through the camera or a card reader, you can't copy anything off of it? You should be able to access the files ordinarily and drag-and-drop.

rbownes

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Check your SD Memory card........eject it from your camera and see if the "lock" switch is on. Maybe that could be the problem?

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Florida
I was able to solve the problem. I used a PC, which the software seems to prefer, and I downloaded the most recent software, which might have helped on the Mac;).

Again, many thanks to all who responded. Have a great weekend everyone!!!

Jude

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
If you haven't done so, invest in an external card reader and a second card. Swap cards when you download images. That way, you'll still have the images on the card until you use the old card again, so if you accidentally delete something you can go back to the card and get it.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Florida
If you haven't done so, invest in an external card reader and a second card. Swap cards when you download images. That way, you'll still have the images on the card until you use the old card again, so if you accidentally delete something you can go back to the card and get it.

Thanks....I will do that.

Jude

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
When I first got my card reader, I seldom used it. Now it's all I use for digital stuff, and I can't imagine having to go back to plugging in directly to my laptop.

chiefroastbeef

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
I used a Transcend card reader for my CF cards with my D700, back when I used SD cards with my d40, I use a memory card express card, which plugs right into my Penryn mbp in the express card slot, the most convenient thing ever. If your computer card has an express card slot, buy a express card memory card reader!

Always reformat your memory card in camera, after every time you've uploaded your pictures and wish to delete the pictures.

Hope you enjoy the D40! It was a great first camera for me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.