Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Yeah, looks like it could be quite promising. Better high ISO quality in a small(er) camera at last (assuming the quality will be similar to a regular Olympus DSLR).

Shame about the price.

Someone has put some early snaps up on here.

I'm off now to dream of the day a D3 sensor is put in a camera body this size...

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
When I saw the specs of this camera I couldnt help but think what might have been...

Its a great looking camera but the price is just extreme, especially for UK customers, I really cant see any regular consumers buying this over a high end compact or even an entry level dSLR.

The other major negative is the lack of optical view finder (without spending an extra £100) combined with a relatively poor screen. An AMOLED screen or even a regular 460k display would have been much better as it will be impossible to make out much of your subject outside in bright light (and this is probably going to be the where it is most used, as a travel camera)

I agree that the rest of the camera seems very promising but these two elements greatly let it down but hopefully Olympus will address these problems in future models.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I really like the camera, but if it doesn't fit in my pocket and still requires that I carry it in a camera bag, I may as well carry a small DSLR. I think the performance of the G1 is great, but I doubt this little guy is going to focus as quickly or as well as the G1.

And no, I don't think the price is too high. The price is lower than I expected.

kreuzberg

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2009
And no, I don't think the price is too high. The price is lower than I expected.

I guess this depends if your in the US or UK. The US list price for the body and 14-42 lens is $799 which at current exchange rates is £500-515. Compare this to the £699 RRP and you'll see the problem

atomicshark

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2007
New York
I am most excited about how the industry will evolve now that both Panasonic and Olympus both introduced mirror-less Micro 4/3 cameras.

Samsung is not far behind and I am sure Nikon and Canon will not sit still.

I can't wait to see what's in store for us in 2010.

For now I will enjoy my PowerShot SX10 IS, Lumix FZ30 and Finepix F30.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I think this is awesome for Olympus.

This shows that Olympus is still in business and is dedicated to photography.

Looking forward to models that are lower cost with a fixed lens!

Then, I can toss my P&S with the tiny sensor out the window! :D

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I'm more interested to see what everybody comes up with as a response, and maybe a generation down the line. Olympus want too much money for this camera ultimately - it should be cheaper than a dSLR, but it isn't.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I'm more interested to see what everybody comes up with as a response, and maybe a generation down the line. Olympus want too much money for this camera ultimately - it should be cheaper than a dSLR, but it isn't.

The Samsung NX series will have APS-C-sized sensors, that's the one I'm waiting to see.

Joe King

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I agree. Potentially the E-P1 could be the EEE PC of cameras. The original EEE PC captured the imagination but was still lacking in certain areas, especially the screen size. However, the netbooks that followed from Asus and their rivals have largely addressed those areas while retaining the killer appeal of the original: high portability at a low price. I could see the same happening here if the camera companies can be made to see that there is a market.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
The Samsung NX series will have APS-C-sized sensors, that's the one I'm waiting to see.

I agree. Potentially the E-P1 could be the EEE PC of cameras. The original EEE PC captured the imagination but was still lacking in certain areas, especially the screen size. However, the netbooks that followed from Asus and their rivals have largely addressed those areas while retaining the killer appeal of the original: high portability at a low price. I could see the same happening here if the camera companies can be made to see that there is a market.

Do-able, but the sensor is a major part of the camera price.

Olympus would have to come out with a cheap fixed lens version that retails for $399, and that will take the P&S field by storm... :)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
My first camera was a PEN, I took it apart and never once took a photo with it. I had no idea what I was holding. :eek:

I saw the announcement early this morning and kind of wanted one. However, the price tag is a bit steep for me to just buy and toss away.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Nice, but I want an integrated viewfinder, even if it's electronic (so that it can support zooms).

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
For classics sake, if you use the fixed lens, they have a Hotshoe mount one... :)

Which could require a HUGE pocket (mounting/unmounting whe whole time would be a drag, requires a different one for each fixed lens, and does not work for zoom lenses.

And if you put a viewfinder, you can't use a flash (and the camera has no built-in flash).

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Which could require a HUGE pocket (mounting/unmounting whe whole time would be a drag, requires a different one for each fixed lens, and does not work for zoom lenses.

And if you put a viewfinder, you can't use a flash (and the camera has no built-in flash).

one way or another, you get to deal with parallax...

would the viewfinder zoom with the lens?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I guess this depends if your in the US or UK. The US list price for the body and 14-42 lens is $799 which at current exchange rates is £500-515. Compare this to the £699 RRP and you'll see the problem

Factor in the fact that the UK prices are with VAT and the US prices are without, closes the gap a little bit between the two RRP's.

tony-in-japan

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2008
Saitama, Japan
I have one on pre-order for 3rd of July... :)

:)

I think Panasonic has done great on developing the 4/3 sensor tech to catch up with the APS-C sensors. Current reviews and comparisons on dpreview with the latest DSLRs confirms this.

The Samsung NX will compete with the G1 series. The E-P1 is a difference class and audience, I think. I still have grave doubts about the quality of lenses the NX system will use.

The E-P1 is an evolution of existing tech that Olympus has refined over a few years from the small E-420 to the current E-620. The 17mm pancake release is because the release of the 25mm Pancake (for their DSLR line) sales exceeded beyond Olympus’ expectations. They miniaturized their in-body IS system on the E-620 and ported that over to the E-P1. I have a E-620 and the IS really works – it is great. So alot of existing tech on the E-620 has been put into a smaller package that is the E-P1. I think that needs to be applauded.

The AF may not be as fast as on the G1, but if it is as fast as the LiveView on the E-620, I don’t think that is bad at all. Plus, I have heard that the speed of lenses is a factor in AF speed. None of the two lenses released so far is particularly fast. I look forward to faster primes in the near future.

I have heard on the grapevine that Leica will release some lenses in collaboration with Panasonic. They will be pricey though! ;) But the more choices the better. I am sure some won’t mind forking our for a super-speedy prime lens.

By the initial positive response around the world, it looks really healthy for the future of micro-Four-Thirds.

Looking to having more fun with photography next week! I ordered the silver with 17mm Pancake kit. :)

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
^^^ cool - can't wait to try one out. Hoping for Olympus to come out with a much less expensive fixed-lens version.

(BTW, AFA "search" - use the Google search instead of the forum one - it seems to come up with better results.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.