Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pdechavez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
So when it comes to purchasing situations, i worry. I have a choice of getting a brand new D3 for $5899 with taxes or buy one of 2 used D3s:

$4200 with 8000 actuations or $4200 with 20,000 actuations

of course I want the first one but cant get a hold of the person. but my questions is, should i buy a new D3 or save money?

both used D3s are said to be in mint condition.

JSF

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2008
Edmond, OK
Personally, I would go with the used one. I think Nikon states the D3 is good for 300,000 shutter actuations. With the money you save buying the used one you could get the shutter replaced and still come out ahead. I believe the cost to replace the shutter is around $300.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Happy D3 owner here....

D3 shutter is rated at 300,000 actuations. You are talking ~98% and ~94% remaining shutter life.

Do you have some pro lenses you could bring along with you to test the systems? If not rent some. Here is what I would do.

1. Bring two CF cards. Shoot RAW and make sure that BOTH CF card slots work (Set slot 2 to copy slot 1)
2. Study up on the camera (assuming you haven't done this) and then test out all major functionality. Come up with some logical system that allows you to review the tests you are running against the pictures you are taking.
3. Bring the cards home and carefully go through the pictures. Look for aberrations that may be sensor / function-specific.

Good luck! It's a chunk of change but WELL worth it.

Edit: JSF beat me to the punch :D Apologies for the redundant info.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Where do you live?

If you're in the states (I assume you are because you listed the new price in dollars), just buy from Amazon, BH, Adorama, ect.

One of the advantages of buying from a larger used equipment dealer is that they offer a 30 day money back exchange and sometimes a warenty. With private party sales it is always "as is" Check KEH and local camera shops too.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Can you afford to wait? There's talk of a D3 refresh (probably in the form of a D3h or D3s) sometime in the fall, which would of course drive down the price of a new D3.

At B&H, you can get a refurbished D3 for about $3,700.

Also, upon looking at the D3 page over there, I see that it's out of stock. I have not seen it listed as being out of stock before, and I can't help but think something's afoot for it. Particularly since the D700 came along, the D3 hasn't been jumping off the virtual shelves. I'd wait for a new one if you can.

Maxxamillian

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2004
Utah
Can you afford to wait? There's talk of a D3 refresh (probably in the form of a D3h or D3s) sometime in the fall, which would of course drive down the price of a new D3.

At B&H, you can get a refurbished D3 for about $3,700.

Also, upon looking at the D3 page over there, I see that it's out of stock. I have not seen it listed as being out of stock before, and I can't help but think something's afoot for it. Particularly since the D700 came along, the D3 hasn't been jumping off the virtual shelves. I'd wait for a new one if you can.

A refresh?!

I. Must. Resist.
:rolleyes:

Captpegleg

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
I think you're the first person to mention the D3x, whose price is far higher than the D3. Anyone who's serious about buying one knows the difference.

But, B&H is below $4,350 for a new D3. Ask me how I know.

So that would make OP's prices out of line for a D3, eh?

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
The D3 has a few advantages over the D700, which include 100% viewfinder coverage, somewhat faster autofocus, faster processing ability and a bit smaller and more ergonomic frame than a gripped D300/700. It also has the ability to move into 5:4 aspect mode, rather than just 3:2. That's all in addition to the faster frame rate.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
The D3 has a few advantages over the D700, which include 100% viewfinder coverage, somewhat faster autofocus, faster processing ability and a bit smaller and more ergonomic frame than a gripped D300/700. It also has the ability to move into 5:4 aspect mode, rather than just 3:2. That's all in addition to the faster frame rate.

I think that's partially incorrect. According to the reviews, the imaging chain in the D700 (including autofocus and image processing) are exactly the same as the D3.

http://www.bythom.com/nikond700review.htm

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
the d700 has
dpreview said:
* Smaller, lighter body *
* Built-in iTTL flash (G.No 17 / ISO 200)
* No rear information panel (new info display on main LCD)
* D700 doesn't have the D3's 5:4 aspect ratio option
* 95% coverage, 0.72x viewfinder (D3: 100% / 0.7x)
* Focus screen DX mode now indicated with a rectangle rather than shaded area
* Lower burst rate (5.0 fps / 8.0 fps with optional MB-D10)
* 100 frames maximum in continuous shooting mode
* Smaller battery (EN-EL3e)
* Optional battery grip (MB-D10, same as D300)
* Expanded Function button options (can assign any camera menu item)
* Live View can be assigned to FUNC, AE-L or Preview buttons (allowing LV + different drive modes)
* Virtual Horizon can be overlaid on Live View preview image
* Different shutter (150,000 cycle rating - same as D300)
* Image Sensor cleaning ('sensor shake' dust reduction)
* Single CF slot (D3 has two)
* Minor menu and control differences (control layout is almost identical to D300)

d700 goes for ~2300 used.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.