Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 10, 2005
Hey. Haven't been able to post here in awhile. The network in my apartment hates these forums for some reason. But I'm online somewhere else, and am curious what kind of critiques I can get on this new body I'm working on. The origin comes from my period of quitting smoking. I used nicoderm patches, which produce these crazy vivid dreams. At first I hated them, then I started writing them down. Started sorting stuff out, then done some sketches, and am now spending my weekends on locations for some directorial photography.

Each photo is around 2-3 images combined, with some containing up to 5 photos to produce the final image. Equipment has been a Canon 5d, 17-40 f4L, Alien Bees strobes, and Photoshop for post

Last edited:

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Very cool, very fine art. The work reminds me of a Finnish artist whose name I cannot remember (but will find out), that doesn't help for now, but there is also another artist, an american called Gregory Crewsden you should definately check out. He operates in the same style, sets up the shot like you do but with one image instead. There is a narrative involved but with him its more ambigious and cinematic, like they are stills taken from a film.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
[Monty Python Quote] What a strange person! [/Monty Python Quote] :D

Very nice photos!... I'm still taking my first baby steps with photography.

If I could ask a newbie question, what kinds of different photos (settings-wise) make up a typical final product?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Pardon? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

When you create a composite photograph, you combine several photos into one "photo" that achieves an effect impossible in just one shot...I'm curious about what kinds of different photos he took in order to get his final product. In other words, how do you approach this type of effect?

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
When you create a composite photograph, you combine several photos into one "photo" that achieves an effect impossible in just one shot...I'm curious about what kinds of different photos he took in order to get his final product. In other words, how do you approach this type of effect?

They could have just been jpegs or Raw files layered ontop of each other in photoshop, replacing detail from photo to blend them seamlessly together.

He *might* have only taken 4 photos in the first image for example and merged them, 1 photo for the main character, 1 for the second character and 2 for the location, the light sources are different, but taken at different times of the day to reflect the different light sources.

With a Tripod ;-)

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
I love these shots; they're all so vivid and bizarre with a hint of comedy. In short, excellent work. Also reminds me to start experimenting with strobes.

And if it's not too much to ask, could I get the last shot at full res for my desktop? It's easily my favourite. :)

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
I love 1 and 5. Great composition, great storytelling (with depth, mind you - something hard to get across on a single 800x600 pixel image). 2 and 4, though... I feel could be enhanced with captions/titles. I'm just not getting the "full picture" here, I think. Or could it be in reference to something I'm unaware of?

3 is fun. It's fine the way it is, but it's not as interesting, perhaps, as 1 and 5.

I can imagine buying a book full of these. :cool:

irmongoose

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
Very clean and polished, really well done! Is this type of stuff related to your career, or is this a hobby? Excellent, top notch work. I'm guessing you're using some strobes? Please elaborate on your lighting work-- I'm a student, and this is close to what I am really getting into lately, staged photography.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.