Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jglove42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
With the new photos app in iOS 18, is it possible to share your entire photos library with a family member? That was one of my favorite features of Google Photos, being able to share access to all my photos to my wife. The only thing I’ve ever seen is a shared “library”, which isn’t exactly the same thing and falls short of what I’m hoping for.

Attachments

• IMG_2475.jpeg
    IMG_2475.jpeg
    264.3 KB · Views: 88

one more

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Another question. 🖐️

Can we now order the photos to show the most recent ones at the top of the screen, instead of the bottom as in iOS 17?

Otherwise for people with thousands of photos it takes a lot of scrolling, even in the Recent album.

tvdsm

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2022
You are able to create a shared photo library which you can share with other participants. The idea is great! However the BIG disadvantage until now (ios 17) is that the folders and albums structure is not synced to the shared library. So other shared library participants don't see the folder/album structure, but just only flat photos. So this is totally useless for people with large photo libraries with many folders/albums. In my case I have 65k photos and 3500 videos and it took years to create all the albums and folders. My wife sees only 65k photos all flat without any structure which is off course not workable. Let's hope they finally fix this in ios 18, however I lost hope 🤨.
Anyone with the ios18 beta is able to check this?

contacos

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
One thing that really drives me mad is the search button in the top right that only turns into a select button when you scroll up on your feed slightly. i keep invoking search by mistake.

jglove42

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
You are able to create a shared photo library which you can share with other participants. The idea is great! However the BIG disadvantage until now (ios 17) is that the folders and albums structure is not synced to the shared library. So other shared library participants don't see the folder/album structure, but just only flat photos. So this is totally useless for people with large photo libraries with many folders/albums. In my case I have 65k photos and 3500 videos and it took years to create all the albums and folders. My wife sees only 65k photos all flat without any structure which is off course not workable. Let's hope they finally fix this in ios 18, however I lost hope 🤨.
Anyone with the ios18 beta is able to check this?
Thanks for this! Hoping someone can pitch in an answer

Bluenose_dave

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2020
Are Live Photos for Lock Screen new to iOS 18 as I don’t remember them before you get the Live Photo icon when setting it to you Lock Screen

bhagemann

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
Has anyone used the photos app with the beta version on a phone or Mac, but kept the older Photos app(current non beta) on other devices? Wondering if the beta photos if installed will make changes to the library and create compatibility issues if you don't update all devices (mac,ipad,phone) that use that library. Always nervous about photos changes for this reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: T-Will
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.