Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreyFox1221

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
In my quest to become the best photographer I can be, I've come here to ask for your help. Any input would be great. The only thing I did to this picture so far was add a tighter crop.

Attachments

• 100_1531.jpg
    100_1531.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 207

tykles

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2004
Colorado
Honestly - and I'm a total rookie, so this is a response more as your intended audience than as a pro - I think the crop is way too tight. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on (how high is he, etc) and he is sort of falling off the side of the image. Can you post the original (uncropped) pic?
I'm not trying to be a hater - I just think we're missing out on some of the context by having such a close crop of the athlete - I'm sure people more involved in shooting athletics have better feedback though.
I checked out some of your other photos - I really like the other high jump shots as well as the head on shot of two men racing hurdles. nice work.
tyler

tykles

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2004
Colorado
Or how about this? The guy;s head down at the bottom (plus the extra space) gives a better sense of height to me. I also like the even tighter crop that Chip posted.

highjump2.jpg

Attachments

• highjump.jpg
    highjump.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 86

gibbon

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2005
Scotland
Hi. Great photo!
I agree the shot looks better when cropped to show more underneath the guy illustrating what he has achieved rather above the guy showing what he hasn't! Makes it more dramatic and accentuates the feat by showing the vertical.
Also, cropping to show the horizontal might be interesting - you get the vertical drama because he is surrounded by sky (and tree tops) and it accentuates the forward motion also - it really looks like he is flying through the air! At first I was a bit confused where he had come from and where he was going, I think perhaps because he has just cleared the jump rather than just reaching it, but somehow I find it easier in this crop. Just an idea......
fullcrop9hw_long.jpg

captainbrendo

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2006
Leave more room on the right side of the photo, since you will ideally want to follow the rule of thirds. The pole vaulter is also looking to the right, so leave some room to breathe. A vertical crop can also work, and would make the image seem taller. For your picture, I think a landscape crop works better. Clone out the annoying trees.

Try to pre frame your shot before you take it when shooting sports so you can include only what you want.

Good shot

Attachments

• fullcrop9hw.jpg
    fullcrop9hw.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 78

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I like tykle's second rendition. It showed the intensity of what the athlete is actually doing, you know what I mean?

FritzTheWonderM

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Planet 10
Here's a tip for the next time you shoot, try to shoot from a position where you can see the person's face. A lot of the interest in sports photography is created by the expression on their face.

Also, go easy on the JPEG compression. Seems like your other shots were less compressed (this one has a lot artifacts in the sky).

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
FritzTheWonderM said:
Here's one to go with your hurdles shot. I removed some of the distracting background stuff.
Which program did you use to get the background to be B&W while retaining the athlete's color?

FritzTheWonderM

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2003
Planet 10
carletonmusic said:
Which program did you use to get the background to be B&W while retaining the athlete's color?
Photoshop. Select all, copy & paste. That gives you a new layer with everything in it. Desaturate the new layer to a level you like, then use the eraser and erase what you want to be colored. The colored background layer will show through the "hole" in the upper desaturated layer.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
FritzTheWonderM said:
Photoshop. Select all, copy & paste. That gives you a new layer with everything in it. Desaturate the new layer to a level you like, then use the eraser and erase what you want to be colored. The colored background layer will show through the "hole" in the upper desaturated layer.

Thanks, thats pretty sweet. It's just like the features some camera's have......... colour accent or whatever. Neat stuff. After you told me how you did it I noticed one of the guy's fingers are still grey :p

dogsbody

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2004
Channel Islands
FritzTheWonderM said:

Or alternatively, use the magnetic lasso to go around the bit you want to be in colour, then click 'Apple+Shift+i' to invert the selection, then go to Image->Desaturate.

That's keeps everything cleaner. Alternatively, you could make a new desaturation layer.

jak119

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2006
Connecticut
my take on this picture

This picture is pretty close to the original although i didn't like the crop to be so tight so i loosened it up a little bit to show the pole (mainly just so you know it's pole vault) and gave him a little room above, to the right, and below. I also did a color balance because the color of the pole supporting the one that you vault over wasn't the true color so i fooled around with the color balances a bit and i think i got the colors pretty good.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
FritzTheWonderM said:

The safest way is to use a mask on the desaturated layer, this way you can fix areas that get erased too much, you get much better control on the edges.

Magnetic lasso would work too, but it's not as precise as masking.

Nice shot though, what are you shooting with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.