Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gelindo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
hi
i am looking to buy a new printer to print photo's. i have no idea what model or brand i should buy. now i have just a simple point and shoot but i'm planning to buy a dslr camera.
so are there any suggestions?

thx

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
You're best bets are probably something from Canon or Epson. They both make good photo printers from budget to professional. Figure out your budget and size prints you'd be making... and go from there. I happen to like Canons for photos, but they're all fairly decent these days. Good luck and happy hunting.

gelindo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
i'm thinking of buying a canon pixma ip4700 is this a good printer or are there better ones? my budget is 200 euro's .

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
I have, and love, my Canon Pixma MP970 (multi function). My only word of caution with this model, but I would assume it affects the others in the Pixma line which print color is that you need to have all ink tanks functional to print. So if your cyan tank is not registered properly and you only need to print a b&w document, be prepared to run to the store to find that replacement cyan tank.

That is my only gripe, but otherwise I am very happy with the purchase.

RHVC59

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2008
Eugene, Oregon
I am very happy with my new Epson Artisan 810. My old HP 5100 series was a casualty of Snow Leopard, could make it work with the Gutenprint drivers, but it just was not cutting it. I saw the review in the December issue of MacLife see (http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/epson_artisan_810) and saw a good deal for one on Amazon.

I am very happy with the quality of the prints. I have printed on matt, glossy, and luster paper and am pleased with the output.

The scanner feature is great.

The best feature is that it networks wonderfully WIRELESSLY!
It as easy to set up and works with my wife's old Dell laptop running XP, and m MBP, running Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I had to DL the driver for 10.6, as the install disk was only good to for leopard 10.5

I am not sure yet about the long term cost of the ink, but the prints are wonderful.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I've recently returned to Epson after a brief forray into HP-land- HP sucked in terms of OSX support and in terms of hardware longevity (on a Professional line printer, not a consumer one.) Ultimately, even though with the HP I had more access to cheaper ink cartridges it was a failure in terms of prints streaking, OSX print times and finally total hardware failure. I'll likely not stray from Epson again.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
I have two Canon's and like them very much. I also have an Epson that I could care less about. I think the one Canon is an ip6600 and my new Canon is the 9000MKII. The Epson is a R300 and only used for printing on DVD's now. All my photo's and art work get printed on the 9000MKII and small 4x6 and text is used on the 6600.

I feel your pain compuwar, about HP and only from the consumer side though. Terrible drivers, support was worse and the printer would stop working whenever it felt like it. After about 100 prints of 4x6 photo's, streaking started no matter what size I printed at. First and last HP I'd ever buy.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The Canon MX7600 looks very interesting with its PgR technology for prints on normal paper.

jbernie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2005
Denver, CO
after a brief forray into HP-land- HP sucked in terms of OSX support

I lost an HP Printer to no vista driver support, then again I lost a Logitech webcam for the same reason. Did still buy a HP laptop, but the Canon MP970 replaced the HP printer and the HP scanner I had. Happy I made the change as well.

joaoferro37

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Vogon Planet Destructor
I like Epson products and I own a Epson Stylus Pro 3800 with inkrepublic i-refill system ( I save hundreds of dollars monthly)
http://www.inkrepublic.com/3800-iRefill.asp
and a Epson R280 to print DVDs with ufosystem ink refill system.

The reason I choose is simple, Epson uses a more expensive Micro Piezo on all of their printers and the detail of printout is outstanding.

However, the problem is their ink cost.
To save on ink you either have to refill or use a CIS system but most of the refill and CIS solutions out in the market are complete junk.

joaoferro37

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Vogon Planet Destructor
I am very happy with my new Epson Artisan 810. My old HP 5100 series was a casualty of Snow Leopard, could make it work with the Gutenprint drivers, but it just was not cutting it. I saw the review in the December issue of MacLife see (http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/epson_artisan_810) and saw a good deal for one on Amazon.

I am very happy with the quality of the prints. I have printed on matt, glossy, and luster paper and am pleased with the output.

The scanner feature is great.

The best feature is that it networks wonderfully WIRELESSLY!
It as easy to set up and works with my wife's old Dell laptop running XP, and m MBP, running Snow Leopard 10.6.2. I had to DL the driver for 10.6, as the install disk was only good to for leopard 10.5

I am not sure yet about the long term cost of the ink, but the prints are wonderful.

BTW, there is a good ink solution for your epson artisan 810.
The UFOsystem refill ink solution
http://www.neweggmall.com/Product/2012199520/product.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.