Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
Quantaray is not a real make. They are sourced from Sigma, and usually do not quite reach their level. Pricewise they are not special either. Look up the price of the Sigma 70-300 DG (not APO version), you will see it is about the same price. The APO version of the Sigma 70-300 DG is even a better choice, and does not cost a lot more.

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
This lens, along with the Simga, are great for when you are starting out. It will give you a good idea of the different focal lengths you normally use. I spend 90% of my time at 200 on my 70-200 lens, so I may someday just get a 200 or 300 prime. If in the future you want to upgrade to more expensive glass, then you can ebay the 70-300 and upgrade. I would personally go with the Sigma lens. I have a 24-70 2.8 Sigma, and I love it.

Kimo

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
These lenses look pretty nice. And a really nice pricing point.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/2...s-for-digital-cameras;cislr-lens;cislr-lenses

Any idea how good they may actually be? I've messed with Quantaray lenses in store and they're hit or miss from what I've seen. This one looks like it could be hit.

I tend to take the Thom Hogan tripod approach to glass. Sooner or later you're going to pay for good glass, how much are you going to spend on bad glass before you do? However if you're never going to get good glass, then enjoy what you can afford. If you can't stretch for good glass, then get what you can and take more pictures.

If you're unsure, then never get a good lens. It'll ruin your perspective on lens quality and kill your bank account. ;)

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Quantaray lenses are what the bargain basement would have, if it had something worse than it does.

If you care about proper colour, focus, exposure or anything else related to photography, you don't buy Quantaray lenses.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
You must be referring to my serious case of L-Disease.

Nope, it's my Nikon Acquisition Syndrome (NAS,) which had been in remission from the 400mm f/2.8 and D2x, but is now willfully lusting after the 600mm f/4, 200-400 VR and 200mm f/2 and a D2xs. Same symptoms, slight variant.

I gave it to one of my friends and his wife who shoots Canon though, so it's cross-brand transferrable. In fairness, I did warn them that bigger faster lenses kill your outlook on small, cheap ones.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Ooooo, that is bad. Just another reminder to all the kiddies out there to be safe.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
If you are looking for a quality lens for less money look for a good used lens. Looks like you have Pentax so it will take longer to find one than if you wanted a used Nikon or canon but I'm sure you can if you hunt

Camera specific phtograpgy forums are the best place to buy used gear on-line. http://www.keh.com is a big used equipment dealer. Many local camera stores have lots of used gear too.

What subjects are you looking to shoot? Maye some one will suggest a bargin lens that will work for yur subject. For example used 135mm f/2.8 lenses can be real cheap (well under $100) and are sharp and fast.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
If you're unsure, then never get a good lens. It'll ruin your perspective on lens quality and kill your bank account. ;)

I prefer to write this as: "Never borrow a lens you can't afford to buy." I made the mistake of borrowing a co-worker's EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS. This led directly to me buying the 100-400mm L, and lusting after various other red-ringed lenses. One of my friends borrowed an 85mm f/1.2L; it's now on his list of glass to buy. (Me, I'd go the 85mm f/1.8 - as a salesguy said, it's 80% of the lens, for less than 20% of the price.)

Fortunately, the glass I currently have (EF-S 17-85mm, and EF 50mm f/1.4) is good enough that I don't feel a need to replace it just yet. Just a need to supplement it - the 10-22mm is next on the list, followed by the 100mm macro. (I'd love to go the 5D route, but there's no way I can afford it this side of paying off my mortgage. :( )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.