Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dadders6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2019
Dallas
(mid-2011) I installed two 2 gig RAMS, from OWC, in the empty slots, and they seated properly. But then the Mac wouldn't power back up! I removed them and voila, it powers up. I contacted OWC, they suggested cleaning the contacts :0. It's brand new, the contacts aren't dirty. I had previously tried the "crucial' brand, from B&H, they wouldn't fit, the 'notch' between the two sections was not wide enough, I did give the crucials a firm push, but any firmer would have broken something.
Any recommendations on other brands?

remiller

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2019
USA
I had a similar experience with my 2019 iMac. Came with two 4gb ram cards and two vacant slots. I purchased two 16 gb cards from OWC. Put them in the two vacant slots and the Mac failed to power up. Spoke with tech support at OWC who had me move the cards to adjacent slots. Mac powered up in that arrangement and has worked fine since. Perhaps, call OWC tech and request guidance on installation.

Reactions: ruslan120

ruslan120

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2009
I had a similar experience with my 2019 iMac. Came with two 4gb ram cards and two vacant slots. I purchased two 16 gb cards from OWC. Put them in the two vacant slots and the Mac failed to power up. Spoke with tech support at OWC who had me move the cards to adjacent slots. Mac powered up in that arrangement and has worked fine since. Perhaps, call OWC tech and request guidance on installation.

Buying an iMac 2019 soon... this is good to know.. thanks for starting this thread / sharing.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
What RAM did you put in? I’ve personally found the 2011s (iMac & MBP) are finicky with anything higher than 1333MHz. I’m not sure if it’s due to the different voltages on the RAM or the issues with the Radeons which different speed RAM highlights...

dadders6

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2019
Dallas
Did you install them in the right slots?

The Apple support doc is wrong on the 2010; it may be wrong on the 2011, too. The 2010 installs 2 right and 2 left. Try that and see.

That's what I did - the originals are 2 gig left and right, I attempted to add 2 more, left and right, in the empty slots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.