Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NikMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Canada
Hi,

I recently purchased a new 13" MBP with retina display and Intel Iris Graphics. Running the latest updateIt works great except for one tiny issue that doesn't affect performance but is slightly worrying.

Whenever I log in to an account for the first time, a grey screen with the apple logo appears briefly and then the screen takes on some weird distortion for a few seconds. The top 2/3 of the screen appears solid grey, the bottom 1/3 is white with some small blue dots, and there are about 6 or 7 horizontal dark grey bars (the same shade as the apple logo) that alternate from left to right across the center of the screen.

This only lasts for a second or two, then my desktop appears and everything works fine -- no other problems.

I have tried resetting SMC and PRAM/VRAM but the issue persists.

I have also tried running Apple Diagnostics by holding down the D key as my Mac restarts, but nothing happened. Possibly it is booting too fast? Something I never thought I would complain about, ha.

Any advice you can offer would be very much appreciated. I really hope there isn't a problem with the graphics card..

Last edited:

Steve at Jobs

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
Graphics glitch

I have the same issue. It doesn't bother me. It appears for just for a split of second. I think it could be software bug. Because playing games or rendering video is working just fine.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I get this on my 2012 retina too. I assume it's a software glitch since it didn't occur when booted into Yosemite.

NikMac

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
Canada
Here's an update - I talked to an Apple tech, they suspected it had something to do with the Mac switching video cards after login (apparently there are two video cards in the machine). I changed the resolution in display settings from "Best for this display" to "Scaled 1440 x 900" and then back to "Best for this display" and then restarted, and it appears to be fixed. So perhaps it was something to do with the resolution in the login screen and the resolution on the desktop for my account being different?

Not sure why this was happening in the first place but glad it's not a hardware problem, also glad to hear it's fixed in Yosemite. Thanks all for your input!

perezr10

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
As far as I know, the 13" only has integrated graphics so I'm not sure what the comment regarding "two cards" was about.

What I can tell you is that I've had a couple different 2012 13" rMBP (decided I wanted a 512gb HD)and they both did that. But only in specific situations. It was when I was using 1440x900 and my wife was using 1280x800. Whenever we would switch to the other account, for a split second on login there would be jumbled mess while the graphics switched from one resolution to another. If we both use the same resolution, the glitch goes away.

I wouldn't worry about it if I was you. It's probably just a software thing. It would be nice if Yosemite fixed it but I can deal with a fraction of a second before login in the meanwhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.