Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
I'm getting my new iPhone 11 Pro Friday, and wondering if I should finally replace old reliable Airport Extreme router with a new one that supports WiFi 6, since iPhone 11 Pro does. Thoughts?

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Despite WiFi 6 being made official, it will still take some time for it to finish baking in the hands of early adopters. You may wish to wait on that basis alone, as well as for prices to come down.

That said, it also depends on what you do with your network. One of the new features in 6 is better handling of network congestion, and well as better speed, so if there are a lot of devices in use, they can take advantage. Battery life improvement is another touted feature.

And don't forget, routers are computers in and of themselves, with processors, memory and an OS, and a more modern router can still be an improvement given the same internet connection, especially if it's also tasked to handle things like running a VPN.

A classic like the WRT54G used to be the state of the art, but it's no longer 2002, and technology has advanced.

It wouldn't be unwise to wait, but the benefits can't be dismissed either. It will just take some time for adoption to spread and prices to come down.

Reactions: clcnyc

clcnyc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
NYC
Right now it seems the only WiFi 6 router that's available for purchase is the Netgear line. I stopped in Best Buy the other day. $400! Pretty steep.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Right now it seems the only WiFi 6 router that's available for purchase is the Netgear line. I stopped in Best Buy the other day. $400! Pretty steep.
If my son were allowed to play on the Xbox more often, then I would consider a router upgrade. He's not allowed games on school nights, yet the wife lets him play on his phone. Go figure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.