Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Hi
I just replaced the hdd with my new ssd (Samsung 850 Evo) on my MBP 2011 late and went into Internet Recovery to format the ssd to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to do a clean install of OS, but it has now been stuck in the process of formatting for about half an hour... Should I cancel the process though it warns me that it might damage the ssd? Or what should I do? Really dunno what to do :/

taischr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
1439025649482-222876100.jpg

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This is one reason why I ALWAYS recommend that before swapping drives on a Mac, that one "prep and test" the new drive externally (in an enclosure or dock).

If you do it the above way, and encounter any problems along the way, you -still have- a "working Mac" with which to go forward...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Looks like you have everything selected properly to do the erase. Like T'hain Esh Kelch mentioned, it should take about ten seconds.

It won't hurt to restart and try again. If it still won't work, it is possible you have a bad drive cable. Fairly common issue with these.

Do you happen to have an external USB enclosure you can put the SSD drive in to see if it can be formatted there, just to eliminate the old cable as the issue.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
And if you get an external enclosure, then you can also use your old HDD for backups - Which you wrote you didn't have in another thread of yours.

Cuniac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2013
Phoenix
I just installed the 1TB Evo 850 on Wednesday on my Early 2011 17in MBP. Just hit erase before to make sure format was correct then restored Time Machine. it was super easy. Just make sure after your done restoring you download and install Disk Sensei (formally Trim Enabler) if your running on 10.9 or use the command to enable trim in 10.10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.