Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thommo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Hi

Just purchased an Apple TV 4K and finished setting it up. I would appreciate any anyone could answer a couple of questions I have regarding usage:

1. My Apple TV has replaced my trusty Chromecast, which I've had an enjoyed for a number of years. When watching YouTube on my iPad, I can press a button to cast it to Chromecast and my TV will automatically switch input to the Chromecast. Handy. When I try the same thing but AirPlay to Apple TV instead, the TV doesn't automatically switch input. It does play on the Apple TV, but I have to switch input. Is there a way to do this?

2. I love the option to switch to my iPhone's keyboard when searching on Apple TV. Super convenient. I don't get the keyboard option on my kid's iPad, which I suspect is because it's using a different Apple ID. Just wondering if there's a way to enable this?

Thank you!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I can press a button to cast it to Chromecast and my TV will automatically switch input to the Chromecast.
I don't understand how your TV would know to switch from one active input to another without user input, unless the various HDMI inputs are assigned some sort of priority. If that is true, check your TV settings or connect the new AppleTV to the HDMI input that the Chromecast was using.

Reactions: macsound1

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
As far question 1, see this Apple Support article. What you ask for can easily be done if your TV supports HDMI-CEC, which it probably does if it is fairly new. Just be sure the TV has HDMI-CEC enabled and that you set the Siri remote for your ATV (or other devices) to use HDMI-CEC to control the TV's power On/Off and volume.

As for question 2, I think the iPad has to be using the same Apple ID.

Reactions: macsound1

thommo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
Thank you for the replies and info.

I've just discovered question 1 actually works, but only when the Apple TV is in sleep mode. So, I watch YouTube on iPad, AirPlay to Apple TV and it will then wake and switch the input automatically to Apple TV. It doesn't work when it's not in sleep mode.

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
For the keyboard function have you paired the ATV remote under control centre on the iPad to the ATV4K?

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
Thank you for the replies and info.

I've just discovered question 1 actually works, but only when the Apple TV is in sleep mode. So, I watch YouTube on iPad, AirPlay to Apple TV and it will then wake and switch the input automatically to Apple TV. It doesn't work when it's not in sleep mode.
This is probably due to the way the chromecast works, since it doesn't play content on it's own, it "sleeps" rather quickly when you're not casting to it.

Something I'm not sure about is Handoff. Does Apple TV support it? That would be another solution to getting the content thats recently viewed on your phone onto your tv.

thommo14

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2017
For the keyboard function have you paired the ATV remote under control centre on the iPad to the ATV4K?

Yes, still no joy.

This is probably due to the way the chromecast works, since it doesn't play content on it's own, it "sleeps" rather quickly when you're not casting to it.

Something I'm not sure about is Handoff. Does Apple TV support it? That would be another solution to getting the content thats recently viewed on your phone onto your tv.

I've messed about with this and it looks like when I power up the Apple TV via the remote, my TV automatically switches input to that. I don't think that's related to AirPlay specifically.

I forgot about Handoff. Will need to look into that.

Thanks all for suggestions.

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Yes, still no joy.

I've messed about with this and it looks like when I power up the Apple TV via the remote, my TV automatically switches input to that. I don't think that's related to AirPlay specifically.

I forgot about Handoff. Will need to look into that.

Thanks all for suggestions.
If the ATV 4K is powered off, press and hold the Power button on the Siri remote for a second or two. That powers on the ATV 4K and then powers on the TV and switches the TV to the HDMI port the ATV 4K is plugged into.

If the TV is already on then press the TV button* on the Siri remote to switch the TV to the HDMI port the ATV 4K is plugged into. For example, you are watching the TV with the Chromecast as the streaming source but you wish to switch to the ATV 4K as the streaming source.

*I think it is called the TV button. I‘m referring to the button on the right just below the touchpad. It has an image of a TV on it.

Last edited:

-Gonzo-

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2015
Yes, still no joy.
I’ve had a little play with this myself on the Wife’s iPad and found these same, however I’ve also found that although it doesn’t provide the notification prompt like in the iPhone if the control centre remote app is open when you select search the keyboard input does indeed appear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.