Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryanflucas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
I'm considering the SE as my first Apple Watch. I've worn traditional watches up to this point but think I might go for it finally. I read somewhere that there's tap feedback on these watches. For example it will vibrate my wrist gently for incoming calls, eliminating the need for ringtones. Is this a feature on all or just specific models?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
That's been a feature of all Apple Watches since the first one launched on April 24, 2015.

Having owned several AWs since that date, most recently the AW6 I got yesterday, I'd highly recommend either an AW5 or AW6, simply for the Always On Display, which the SE doesn't have.

edit: just to clarify, it doesn't actually "vibrate" your wrist. It's more like a subtle tapping, and it's easy to miss, especially if you're wearing gloves in the winter months, or sleeves/cuffs that touch the watch. There's a "Prominent Tap" option, that beats the crap out of your wrist EVERY TIME YOU GET A NOTIFICATION, which as you may have guessed, I'm not a big fan of. Also, I've heard that the Taptic Engine feels somewhat stronger on aluminum-case watches, whereas the stainless steel (which is all I've ever owned) is heavier, making the taps less pronounced.

Last edited:

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
Having just come from series 4 SS to the blue aluminum, I can tell you the vibration/tapping is more pronounced on the aluminum.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
Yeah the taps are great -Two options for feedback level too - standard or prominent. I have mine on standard and its fine for waking me up or alerting me to a text message or a phone call or anything really. I have never missed anything since having the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.