Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Okay, I've been looking around all over the internet, and used MRoogle and could not find any kind of answer. I found some people say this and others say that. I'm wondering what the consensus is when it comes to SDHC card speeds.

I'm getting myself a Canon Rebel XS kit for the holidays, as I've recently become fascinated by photography. It comes with the 18-55mm lens and I'm also getting a 55-250mm lens so I have some range, as recommended by a friend.

I was looking at SDHC cards and I'm stuck between the SanDisk 16GB Extreme III and the SanDisk 32GB Ultra II. The speeds claim Class 10 / 30MB/s and Class 4 / 15MB/s respectively, though I think it's actually measured in mbps. I've read that speed is important in 2 instances, video - which the XS does not do, and burst shooting. I don't think I'll be doing much burst shooting, but I don't want to make that choice with a card and then be screwed if I change my mind in the future.

I always like having the maximum possible storage space available, kind of an OCD thing. Which should I go with? Is the speed kind of overrated and the Class 4 at 15 "MB/s" will be fine for my camera?

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
The only benefit of a fast card in a non-video camera is that you can dump the buffer quicker and that only matters if you are shooting long bursts of images. You most likely would never notice the benefits because the Rebel XS is a very slow camera as far as fps.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Any reason that you're looking at such big cards? The XS is 10MP, right? If you're shooting JPEGs, a 4GB will give you about 800 photos.

I find on my XTi, importing into iPhoto is excruciating if there are more than say 300 photos on the card. I typically don't wipe my CF card until after I've backed up the photos, so quite often, I'm running in excess of 500 photos. If I had planned it better, I would have gotten 2 2GB cards instead.

I guess that if you're shooting RAW, then maybe the 16GB card would come in handy ...

ft

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
<snip> You most likely would never notice the benefits because the Rebel XS is a very slow camera as far as fps.
Aha. Thank you. It's nice to hear a reason for choice based on my specific circumstance, all the other info I found pertained to other equipment.

Any reason that you're looking at such big cards? The XS is 10MP, right? If you're shooting JPEGs, a 4GB will give you about 800 photos.
<snip>
I guess that if you're shooting RAW, then maybe the 16GB card would come in handy ...

ft
Well I have a 4GB card from about 2 years ago that I keep in my point and shoot, and a 1GB card from about 4 years ago. I will be shooting in RAW for the most part, and I hate having even to think about running out of space. The reason for going to 32GB is because the speed of the card is slightly slower so it's price is actually $20 less. So the point is that it doesn't look like I need the speed so in saving $20 I might as well get the card that's double the capacity. Thanks for the input.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hold off on the 250mm lens until you've taken 1,000 or more shots and know more about the kind of photos you can't get with the kit lens. All beginners always think they need a long, slow cheap zoom and they don't really use it. After that first 1,000 images you will know that maybe what you need is a fast lens that can for f/1.4 or maybe a wider one. It is unlikely you'd need an f/5.6 250mm lens. You may find you'd rather have a Canon speedlight.

With the memory cards. Buy two or more smaller cards rather then one large card and get a little case to hold them. In your case the faster card only means it will download quicker in to the computer. So it means a 3 minute wait rather then 6 minutes or whatever the numbers work out to. So get a fast card if you can but don't spend a lot of extra money for the speed rating.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
15 MB/S is more than fast enough to keep up with your camera, even bursting RAW files. The XS makes RAW's that are a max of 12.2 MB (if I read correctly), it has a buffer as well. This means that the buffer can store some image data temporarily while the camera is having it written to the card. The XS doesn't have a fast enough burst rate to benefit from the faster cards.

As others have said, the only advantage in your case to having a faster card is to have the images download from the card to the Mac faster.

SLC

Jaiden

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2008
As others have said, pretty much the only big reason people want fast cards is for burst shooting large amounts of images in a short period of time before the buffer fills up. They also correctly stated that the Rebel would get little to no benefit from the faster 32mb/s card.

However, another factor which I don't think anyone else has considered is transfer times between the camera and computer. Unless your computer is ancient and you only have USB 1.1, you will notice a significant speed boost when transferring your Images, especially going to a 30mb/s card.

If speed isn't your thing, however, a 16mb/s card will do you just fine with the camera you plan on getting =)

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Hold off on the 250mm lens until you've taken 1,000 or more shots and know more about the kind of photos you can't get with the kit lens. <snip> So get a fast card if you can but don't spend a lot of extra money for the speed rating.
Thanks for the tips on the lens. It's not that I thought I needed it, my friend who sells cameras was giving me some advice and asked me about what I'd be shooting and recommended it. I'll keep it in mind. Also, thanks for the info on the cards.
15 MB/S is more than fast enough to keep up with your camera, even bursting RAW files. <snip> As others have said, the only advantage in your case to having a faster card is to have the images download from the card to the Mac faster.
SLC
This seems to be the consensus. As long as 15MB/s is fast enough for my camera, that's what I'll get. Thanks.

<snip>
However, another factor which I don't think anyone else has considered is transfer times between the camera and computer. Unless your computer is ancient and you only have USB 1.1, you will notice a significant speed boost when transferring your Images, especially going to a 30mb/s card.
If speed isn't your thing, however, a 16mb/s card will do you just fine with the camera you plan on getting =)

I see what you're saying. However, I would rather have the capacity than the quicker file transfer to my MacBook. As a full-time college student who has one year left, I can always find something to do while the transfer takes place if it's really going to be that long. Thanks though.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
Hold off on the 250mm lens until you've taken 1,000 or more shots and know more about the kind of photos you can't get with the kit lens. All beginners always think they need a long, slow cheap zoom and they don't really use it. After that first 1,000 images you will know that maybe what you need is a fast lens that can for f/1.4 or maybe a wider one. It is unlikely you'd need an f/5.6 250mm lens. You may find you'd rather have a Canon speedlight.

The only thing cheap about the 55-250 is the price, and maybe build quality, although it isn't that bad. I was actually VERY impressed with the optics in this lens. It was a hard lens to track down when i bought mine last summer.

The 55-250 is a superb lens, nothing touches in focal length, for that price.
It does blow in low light. Actually ANYTHING less than mid day shooting, and it shows its' limits. Could be a combo of the XSi AF and the slow aperature of the lens... other than that, it isn't a cheap lens:)

As far as the card goes, you may want to rethink getting a 32GB, or even 16GB for that matter, and JUST shooting RAW. You know how daunting a task that would be to PP? I dread processing my 4GB from this last summer. Sometimes i will shoot JPEGs, then when i see something I may want to use later, I will switch to RAW. Unless you are printing 20x30, i think JPEG would be good. But if you have the space and like processing CR2s, then why not:).

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
<snip>
As far as the card goes, you may want to rethink getting a 32GB, or even 16GB for that matter, and JUST shooting RAW. You know how daunting a task that would be to PP? I dread processing my 4GB from this last summer. Sometimes i will shoot JPEGs, then when i see something I may want to use later, I will switch to RAW. Unless you are printing 20x30, i think JPEG would be good. But if you have the space and like processing CR2s, then why not:).
I don't know what these mean. PP? Is that short for Photoshop or something? And I can't even begin to think what CR2 might be. Thanks for the other perspective on the lens, I'm still on the fence about it. I found it on Amazon for like $230 with shipping and no tax.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
sorry, PP means post processing. :) CR2 files are Canon "RAW' files. If you have CS4, photoshop can read them, thank goodness!!

As far as the lens goes, why not check out fredmiranda.com and go to their B&S forum. That is about the only place i trust and buy my gear from. It is free to buy. Also, lots of pros are there, and the gear isn't over priced at all. I bet you could pick up a 55-250 for like $175.

This lens is worth a purchase. I will find a picture i took using this lens, and will post it here in a bit. Worst case scenario; you buy the lens and find you need something wider. Then just sell it:).

Card speed won't really matter, unless you are using the 1DSMKIV, where you are shooting at 10fps. I have an extreme ultra (maybe the other way around) that i bought on amazon for $28 shipped, and that was 2 years ago. it is a 4GB. works great with my XSi.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
here are some photos. Most are just snap shots, so to speak...

oh yeah, these are all shot with the XSi + 55-250mm lens...

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 123
  • proposal.jpg
    proposal.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 95

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Don't forget to look "up" with the kit 55-250mm...I'm amazed at it for moon shots, these a few weeks back a "waning gibbous with 61% visible"
ih1sv80P1-85NXSJfHjc5w
ih1sv80P1-85NXSJfHjc5w
ih1sv80P1-85NXSJfHjc5w
ih1sv80P1-85NXSJfHjc5w
_MG_1117.jpg

Since I have the Canon T1i, I got class 6 card for the HD video recording speed. $40 for 16GB....prices way down from just 1 year ago. I have a 2GB class 6 as back-up.
If was not shooting video, then possible slower card was an option, but with prices so cheap.....
Yea, when there's lots of RAW files on it takes a few minutes to download, but then you can be surfing the forum here while that's going on:rolleyes:
ih1sv80P1-85NXSJfHjc5w

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Don't forget to look "up" with the kit 55-250mm...I'm amazed at it for moon shots, these a few weeks back a "waning gibbous with 61% visible"
_MG_1117.jpg

Since I have the Canon T1i, I got class 6 card for the HD video recording speed. $40 for 16GB....prices way down from just 1 year ago. I have a 2GB class 6 as back-up.
If was not shooting video, then possible slower card was an option, but with prices so cheap.....
Yea, when there's lots of RAW files on it takes a few minutes to download, but then you can be surfing the forum here while that's going on:rolleyes:

That is a gorgeous photo of the moon. Only one of them came through in the post, as I see anyway. It's kind of funny that you post this picture here because about 3 days ago the night sky was incredibly clear and the moon was just about full and it looked beautiful and I tried to capture it with my point and shoot because I don't yet have my DSLR and I got crap. After seeing this photo, I'm definitely getting the 55-250mm lens. When I find I need more options, I'll grab a new lens. My girlfriend will be pleased as she has a terrible time shopping for me for birthdays and holidays so now she can get me new lenses when the time calls for it. Thank you for your contribution MTB, it's greatly appreciated.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
That is a gorgeous photo of the moon. Only one of them came through in the post, as I see anyway. It's kind of funny that you post this picture here because about 3 days ago the night sky was incredibly clear and the moon was just about full and it looked beautiful and I tried to capture it with my point and shoot because I don't yet have my DSLR and I got crap. After seeing this photo, I'm definitely getting the 55-250mm lens. When I find I need more options, I'll grab a new lens. My girlfriend will be pleased as she has a terrible time shopping for me for birthdays and holidays so now she can get me new lenses when the time calls for it. Thank you for your contribution MTB, it's greatly appreciated.

Taken last night with my 3 kids "help"
_MG_2195.jpg

Phase of the Moon on 22 November: waxing crescent with 30% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated

If you want to plan your moon shots, go here for data:
http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data-services/rs-one-day-us

I'm on a mission to take moon shots thru all the phases, then make a collage of them over my home.
Maybe a 1-2 month long project.

Enjoy the hobby, fun stuff.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
Taken last night with my 3 kids "help"
_MG_2195.jpg

Phase of the Moon on 22 November: waxing crescent with 30% of the Moon's visible disk illuminated

If you want to plan your moon shots, go here for data:
http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data-services/rs-one-day-us

I'm on a mission to take moon shots thru all the phases, then make a collage of them over my home.
Maybe a 1-2 month long project.

Enjoy the hobby, fun stuff.

That sounds like a real fun project. Thanks for the website, I'll definitely use it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.