Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal
I am looking into getting my first DSLR and I was wondering if you guys think I should get the D60,D40x, or the D40. I looked into the prices and I can get a D60 for $250 more than a D40 and I assume the D40x is somewhere in the middle. Should I spend the extra money and get the D60 or should I get one of the D40s?

mikeyPotg

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2006
My first DSLR was a D40 (which I'll likely sell soon, btw) and I really love it. It was good to learn the basic manual controls and all, but I still have a ways to go with that.
My ONLY complaint about the D40 (and D40x and D60 I believe) is that they lack an auto focus motor, which means that they ONLY work with "AF-S" lenses - which seriously hurts your lens options.
But if you don't see that being a major issue, I highly recommend it. & feel free to PM me if you're interested in a D40 or D70, haha. I've been looking to upgrade to a D200 or so.

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal
My first DSLR was a D40 (which I'll likely sell soon, btw) and I really love it. It was good to learn the basic manual controls and all, but I still have a ways to go with that.
My ONLY complaint about the D40 (and D40x and D60 I believe) is that they lack an auto focus motor, which means that they ONLY work with "AF-S" lenses - which seriously hurts your lens options.
But if you don't see that being a major issue, I highly recommend it. & feel free to PM me if you're interested in a D40 or D70, haha. I've been looking to upgrade to a D200 or so.
Thanks. I actually don't see the lack of an AF motor as much of an issue. I would miss the opportunity to use primes, but I don't really mind that much. I was wondering if anyone thinks that the extra megapixels and sensor cleaner of the D60 are worth $200. I can see the sensor cleaner being useful, but I don't think I will be changing lenses that often. The extra megapixels seem more like a gimmick to me.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I am looking into getting my first DSLR and I was wondering if you guys think I should get the D60,D40x, or the D40. I looked into the prices and I can get a D60 for $250 more than a D40 and I assume the D40x is somewhere in the middle. Should I spend the extra money and get the D60 or should I get one of the D40s?

If this is your first DSLR, why just out of interest have you already gone for Nikon? What is it you want from a camera anyway?

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I just got my D40 a week ago, and I love it. The extra megapixels aren't a big deal unless your going to be printing above A3 size. I would have liked to have gotten a d60 with the anti-dust, but if your not going to be changing lenses very often you shouldn't worry about it. I say get the D40 and go get a nice second piece of glass. Best Buy has a special right now, which is if you get the D40 kit you can get $100 off a 55-200mm, or a 70-300mm lens, I believe that it is only in store. Enjoy your new camera, which ever one you choose.

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal
If this is your first DSLR, why just out of interest have you already gone for Nikon? What is it you want from a camera anyway?
I went with Nikon, because Canon makes me feel like a freak with their tiny uncomfortable grips. The cheapest Canon Camera with a decent size grip is the 40D and that seems to be too high end for me. As for what I want from it, I travel a decent amount and like to take pictures of buildings and structures, but I also want to take shots of landscapes and people. Thanks.

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal
I just got my D40 a week ago, and I love it. The extra megapixels aren't a big deal unless your going to be printing above A3 size. I would have liked to have gotten a d60 with the anti-dust, but if your not going to be changing lenses very often you shouldn't worry about it. I say get the D40 and go get a nice second piece of glass. Best Buy has a special right now, which is if you get the D40 kit you can get $100 off a 55-200mm, or a 70-300mm lens, I believe that it is only in store. Enjoy your new camera, which ever one you choose.
How much does Best Buy want for the their D40 kit? Even with the $100 off I would expect to pay less online. Thanks.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
^^^

I paid 499.99 for my kit, but with the 55-200 mm, it came to $743.00 (with a 8GB memory card $99.00). I looked everywhere online to try to find a better deal on the camera and lens together, or even from separate sites (B&H, Adorama, JR electronics, just to name a few) and could not find a better deal and most would only ship the camera kit for free.

Don

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal
^^^

I paid 499.99 for my kit, but with the 55-200 mm, it came to $743.00 (with a 8GB memory card $99.00). I looked everywhere online to try to find a better deal on the camera and lens together, or even from separate sites (B&H, Adorama, JR electronics, just to name a few) and could not find a better deal and most would only ship the camera kit for free.

Don
That sounds like an good deal, I will have to check out best buy.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Hope you enjoy your new camera, I'm 99% sure that the deal was still on when I was there on saturday looking for a backup HDD.

Don

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
The extra megapixels seem more like a gimmick to me.

Extra megapixels suck when you need large depth of field (diffraction sets in sooner,) when your glass isn't good or your technique isn't great. Extra megapixels rock when you need to crop because you didn't bring the right lens or couldn't get closer, when you need to print really big or if you want to throw numbers at people.

Only you can decide what they're worth or which situations make them important or bad.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I went with Nikon, because Canon makes me feel like a freak with their tiny uncomfortable grips. The cheapest Canon Camera with a decent size grip is the 40D and that seems to be too high end for me. As for what I want from it, I travel a decent amount and like to take pictures of buildings and structures, but I also want to take shots of landscapes and people. Thanks.

I only ask because Olympus do a range of cameras which are just as good, cheaper and have a range of lenses. Most importantly their camera system is designed so that their cameras and lenses are very small compared to say Canon or Nikon and it is worth your time to have a look at them as well. Perfect for travelers I'd say.

christf10

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Rockland County, NY
I just got my first DSLR and went with Olympus E510 (due to the deal I got through a friend that works for Olympus). The camera is great. I love the size and quality of the photos I have taken. I am a novice and am tooling around with taking photo's in manual mode. I think the only draw on the Olympus (which does not bother me, as of now) is the 4/3's system they use. Being limited to only their lenses can be a draw and they are pricey. I am very happy with my purchase though. I don't think you can go wrong with an Olympus, Nikon or Canon.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

When buying an SLR. The thing to lok at is the lens. Not just the one you buy with the body but the set of them that you might want years from now. In terms of what subjects you can shoot and the lok of the final image the lens makes much more difference than a the body. No one will know if you used the D40 or D60 when they see the photo

Which body you buy will determine which lenses you can use. So think ahead. Nikon makes a lot of nice fast primes and pro-quality zooms and many older used lenses don't work with the D40/D60. Will you ever want one of those lenses? Maybe Maybe not. Just so long as you think ahead a few years.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
In the end, there's no "wrong" decision. You will have fun and take good pictures no matter which camera you end up buying. So view the following as just suggestions - I promise you'll be happy no matter what you end up buying.

If you're the sort of person that will probably buy this camera and then use it for as long as it lasts, get the D60. The D60 is newer, which means the sensor technology is newer. The main advantage to this will be somewhat better low-light, high-ISO shooting compared to an older sensor that has the same resolution. Not amazingly better; just incrementally better.

If you're the sort of person that will likely buy a newer, better body a couple years down the road - get the D40. It's not going to matter for the photographs you take now. With the money you save, you can buy another lens (or a better kit lens).

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
Have a look at Pentax or Samsung (basically the same) - they have stabilization in body - not lens. You can use any Pentax lens on these camera's. Often except the latest pro models these cameras use AA batteries - very useful.

I know everyone says Nikon/Canon - but like computers there is more to camera's than Nikon and Canon.

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal
In the end, there's no "wrong" decision. You will have fun and take good pictures no matter which camera you end up buying. So view the following as just suggestions - I promise you'll be happy no matter what you end up buying.

If you're the sort of person that will probably buy this camera and then use it for as long as it lasts, get the D60. The D60 is newer, which means the sensor technology is newer. The main advantage to this will be somewhat better low-light, high-ISO shooting compared to an older sensor that has the same resolution. Not amazingly better; just incrementally better.

If you're the sort of person that will likely buy a newer, better body a couple years down the road - get the D40. It's not going to matter for the photographs you take now. With the money you save, you can buy another lens (or a better kit lens).
Thank you. I think your post was very helpful actually. Could I ask you one last question. I really enjoy photography on my ancient crappy point and shoot. Should I consider getting a better Point and Shoot instead of deciding to make the switch to an entry level DSLR?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Thank you. I think your post was very helpful actually. Could I ask you one last question. I really enjoy photography on my ancient crappy point and shoot. Should I consider getting a better Point and Shoot instead of deciding to make the switch to an entry level DSLR?

I think if you enjoy your point and shoot camera, and haven't felt constrained by it in any way (other than it being old), then yes that's a good thing to look into. A lot of people - even pro photographers - seem to love the Canon G9. It's not really shirt pocket size; but it takes some great photos. It even has an adapter you can buy that lets you use filters, if you wish.

Frozonecold

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 23, 2005
NorCal
I think if you enjoy your point and shoot camera, and haven't felt constrained by it in any way (other than it being old), then yes that's a good thing to look into. A lot of people - even pro photographers - seem to love the Canon G9. It's not really shirt pocket size; but it takes some great photos. It even has an adapter you can buy that lets you use filters, if you wish.
That seems like a great camera, but I can get a D40 cheaper actually. Its not that I feel constrained so much as, I don't want to use photoshop for everything. Also, I love to tinker with settings and things, because I am a semi-perfectionist. I really want the D40 so that I have more control over everything, and don't have to let the camera make all the decisions for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.