Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolchap

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Hi Experts,

Finally, I have ordered used Macbook Pro 13" 2015 Model on eBay, hope it's in good condition/well maintained.
So, I am being thought to switch to MAC OS for a long time as I fed up with Windows OS.
I am being a Software Developer, I am very good at Unix and Linux systems and heard the mac OS is Unix based OS(correct me if am wrong).

I need your valuable suggestions/recommendations how to start learning the MAC OS being Unix Person, whether it adds any advantage on learning? does mac OS has Terminal like Unix/Linux to run Unix-like commands and perform automation using shell script etc.,?

Do I need to rely on GUI on Mac OS like windows or I can do many things in Terminal using Unix-like commands?

What is the best to start with learning MAC OS? Please share your thoughts, it would be much helpful.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
On its core, OS X is a heavily modified fork of FreeBSD with some custom systems on top. It offers some of the best automation facilities of any contemporary customer OS I am aware of (with launchd, Automator and system-wide scriptability via AppleScript or EcmaScript). Also, the integration of Terminal and UI in OS X is exemplary, with commands that allow you to seamlessly switch between command-line and Finder, control the clipboard as well as start apps. Some pointers to start out:

- read the manpages of launchd and open
- check out http://brew.sh — a very nice package manager for OS X
- I would recommend you the book "Mac OS X and iOS Internals: To the Apple's Core" by J. Levin, it provides some very nice overview of the system and its components
- read through the Apple's developer documentation, they have some very detailed technotes about the low-level details of the system (e.g. kernel subsystems etc)
- ...and of course, you always can look at OS X base OS source code https://opensource.apple.com

P.S. My favourite command-line tool is 'say'. So many possibilities...

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
David Pogue's books may be of help.

Check amazon.com.
Best way to buy is check the "used" category, pick up a used copy, and save $$$.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
it sounds like you're going to love Mac! It's the best Unix OS as far as I'm concerned. It's not just Unix-like, it is a certified Unix-fork, unlike Linux.

You can live in Terminal (the command line) if you want or ignore it like most people and use Apple's GUI exclusively; the choice is entirely up to you!

But there's plenty of stuff you can do in Terminal that isn't in the GUI or is otherwise easier. I most frequently use find in Terminal and not the GUI.

One minor word of caution is to be aware that, being a Unix OS, Mac uses Unix line endings as opposed to the Microsoft ones. So be wary of running a script in Terminal that was made in Windows without converting the file or copying your script over in a text editor.

You can convert them in XCode, with any text or stream editor that has regular expression support, or simply copying over your work into a new plain-text TextEdit document (or text editor in Terminal) which defaults to the standard Unix line endings. TextEdit recognises the Windows ones when you open a Windows-created file so all you have to do is copy and paste the contents into a new file.

Windows doesn't return the favour (they prefer to pretend they're the only OS) which is why if you try to open a file created in TextEdit or Terminal on the Mac in Notepad on Windows the line endings aren't recognised and you get a one-line file.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.