Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

615bride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
North Carolina
I hope this is the right place for this and if this question is so basic and there is a good online tutorial somewhere please direct me!

I am very comfortable with Elements on a PC and got my new macbook yesterday. I'm lost. I have a photo in my iphoto library that I want to resize to a specific pixel dimension. Easy, right? When I open Elements, go to file open and browse I see my picture there in the window as an option but "open" is not highlighted or clickable. I searched around here and saw that someone said to open the picture in iphoto and drag it down to Elements in the dock. I did that and it worked. Now I have it in Elements, resize it and save it as what I want to call it and when I go back to iphoto it's still the original with nothing else in there.

Help? Thoughts? Thanks!

615bride

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
North Carolina
Thank you! That link is a big help! I guess now my problem is where are all of these photos I'm saving? They're not showing up in iphoto. When I use Finder to search for them they are all there but I don't know how to find them on the computer! I guess I'm showing how much of a mac newbie I am!

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
You can setup Elements or any photo editor as your default external editor if you want in iPhoto "Prefences", then when you save a photo it will go back into iPhoto with the new edits. I wouldn't do any editing outside iPhoto as a rule. If you want more than one copy of a photo with different edits, in the iPhoto menu you can click on " Photos > Duplicate" then give it a new name, work on a fresh copy in Elements without leaving iPhoto and save back to iPhoto. Use "Save" DO NOT use "Save As" to save the photo back into iPhoto. You may find that you won't want to do as much resizing as you think if you use the Email button from inside iPhoto, it will take care of that for you.

To find the photo you are saving in Elements, but not showing up in iphoto try typing the name of one photo in Spotlight (upper right corner of screen). Then hover mouse over one of the files that pops up and it will show you the path to that file. A good chance that most of your lost photo's will be in the same place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.