Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LVR911

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2021
Virginia
Heckuva way to start here at Macrumors. ? I’m embarrassed to report that I promptly locked myself out of my new-to-me MacbookAir M1 as soon as I received it.

I’ve received a new-to-me 2020 MacbookAir M1. The day I received it, I inadvertently locked myself out of it before I even got it properly formatted. I turned it on, created an account name and password. I put the password in my PW manager and synced it so I’d safely have it before using Migration Manager to transfer data from my older Mac. And for cryin’ out loud...the sync didn’t work properly and I lost (AND FORGOT) the password.

I’ve spoken with Apple and they had me use recovery disc to reinstall Big Sur, but it brings me back to the login page again. GAH. Is there a full factory reset method I can access without the password? I will off myself if I have bricked this new laptop...

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
We’re you setting up as new? “New to me.” Did previous owner wipe the device so you were setting up as new? And how and. What PW manager did you synch to?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.