Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Here are a few pics from today... basically my first time shooting with my new D50 + 18-55mm kit lens.

I can definitely use some pointers and advice on what I may be doing wrong or how I can improve. For instance, the sky (it was overcast) in the last photo is completely overexposed... any way I can avoid that without metering the sky, which would cause everything else to be underexposed? Thanks in advance!

515611876_0dfd995190_b.jpg

515627300_17f5317b97_b.jpg

516006485_c97aa015c8_b.jpg

515611858_355331772f_b.jpg

515611848_dddc16dd0f_b.jpg

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Usually in terms of your last photo that is a tough one. I usually bracket myself. Over, under, mid. You can also invest in a graduated ND filter which will allow you to basically block some light in the sky and then the other side of the filter is clear.

Digitally you can expose for the sky and then expose for the building and combine the two in photoshop or a like program.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Advice?? Just keep on shooting, and develop your 'eye' for a picture. Enjoy learning something new, have fun. There's no sure-fire short-cut to photographic excellence, though I reckon the learning curve is a lot quicker with digital than it was with film... if only because you can compare, immediately, what you see 'out there' with what's been recorded by your camera. Bridging that gap is a big part of what photography's about.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Overall, they're pretty good. On the car though, getting lower and shooting it straight on instead of pointing down would result in a better picture. In the last picture, you can take two exposures and combine them later, but I don't think the sky is all that bad.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
The compositions seem a bit awkward in a few shots... But maybe that's just me.
I know it would help me if you elaborated more... Which shots? What part of the composition does not work for you? Why?

I like this shot in particular. I think the selective focus was just right. I think for my own interpretation of the shot and own aesthetic taste, I'd like to see maybe an inch or so from the left hand margin cropped off (as in, not all of the whole walkway, but a part of it). Otherwise, this image speaks to me moreso than the others. I feel it tells a story of sorts.

Plus, my eye is drawn to the lower right handish area (since the flowers are sharper) as well as back through the frame towards the upper left hand corner (noticing the purse as it's light, the woman, the action, then following the walkway up). I think that that's effective. To keep a viewer's eyes moving.

discodave

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2007
I completely agree with devilot. That is the best picture of them all. Great capture and lovely subtle post processing.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
First of all, thanks for the feedback guys. keep em coming :)

Plymouthbreezer: Could you maybe elaborate on how you would improve the compositions. Still trying to get the hang of things and can use all the help I can get.

devilot: I agree... this photo is definitely my favourite of the bunch (i also like the first one). I also agree with your comments about the cropping. In fact, I had already cropped a fair bit from the lefthand side prior to posting it. I actually wanted to crop more, as you had suggested, but I was concerned about making the photo too square (are people generally concerned about the aspect ratio/shape of the photos when cropping?). I'll play around more with this one and see what I can do to improve it.

Plymouthbreezer

macrumors 601
Feb 27, 2005
Massachusetts
Sorry for the ambiguous criticism... I wanted to reply with more, but I got sidetracked. :p

I guess in the car shot (which overall, I like a lot!), I think showing some lines of the hood might help. I guess it's the cutoff which seemed odd to me.

The Past

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2004
United States
I tend to seek the help of a polarizing filter to work with skies I am not happy with. I think it will be a very good investment if you choose to do more landscapes, sky, water at certain times of the day.

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
I tend to seek the help of a polarizing filter to work with skies I am not happy with. I think it will be a very good investment if you choose to do more landscapes, sky, water at certain times of the day.

Thanks for the tip. Could you elaborate on what the polarizing filter would do or how it would help with overexposed skies such as the one in my photo? How would the effects differ from those of a graduated ND filter?

cutsman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 1, 2006
Sorry for the ambiguous criticism... I wanted to reply with more, but I got sidetracked. :p

I guess in the car shot (which overall, I like a lot!), I think showing some lines of the hood might help. I guess it's the cutoff which seemed odd to me.

Thanks for the comments. Now that you mention it, I can definitely see how the car photo can look oddly cropped. I think had i gotten down lower to shoot more parallel to the ground, as compuwar had suggested, I could've avoided this issue as well. I will remember that for next time. :D

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I completely agree with devilot. That is the best picture of them all. Great capture and lovely subtle post processing.

I'm with both of them too. Absolutely awesome shot. It's got a bit of nostalgia to it I feel.

Anyway, I have the exact same camera as you, same lens and all. You will LOVE that thing, as I have. The one thing I feel is limiting is the zoom of the lens. It's a perfect body/kit lens because of its relative flexibility though. You likely won't notice it's a problem though, since cropping is your friend.

I have an old Nikon telephoto lens (and I do mean old, like 15 years old) that works on my D50, mind you without aperture control or any exposure control at all for that matter, which is a bit of a pain when shooting stuff you want to keep. Anyway I just thought I'd brag about using an old full-manual lens.

You'll love the D50. It has totally changed my perception on photography since I was used to using a 35mm Nikon SLR from the late 80's. I can't say enough good things about the D50, except for the cost of Nikon lenses :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.