Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamAshleyBlogs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
There is something very frustrating about this new trackpad. I already turned off the "look up" feature because it was driving me nuts. Now, there are times when I literally can't click on things and click/drag (enlarging a window, etc.) is often impossible. I could very well be doing something wrong, but this is my 4th macbook pro—I work in digital for a living. It shouldn't be this hard.

Current example:
I dropped a note/annotation into a pdf in Preview. I can't click on it to edit it. I can't click on it to delete it. I can't click/drag it to the appropriate position. When I click, the entire page highlights.

What am I doing wrong here? What settings do I need to change?

Screenshots of my settings attached.

HELP.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 12.10.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 12.10.07 PM.png
    917.7 KB · Views: 400
  • Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 12.10.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 12.10.12 PM.png
    795.4 KB · Views: 315
  • Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 12.10.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 12.10.18 PM.png
    808.2 KB · Views: 302

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Apple majorly f*****d up the new trackpad. How? They made it too large for the sake of large. All the issues arise from accidental input from your palm when resting it against the edge of the chassis, which is a natural hand position when using a trackpad. But the trackpad is so uselessly huge that it senses the presence of skin and registers it as additional input, which as a result conflicts with the main finger input. I literally have to hold my hand like this sometimes in order to make this stupid thing work:

IMG_5982.jpg

Cache

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
No problems here. Everything works as it should and I love the huge trackpad. Placing my palms on the trackpad on purpose doesn't matter, the trackpad still registers all input perfectly. If it's not working for the both of you, you may need to consider sending it back to Apple for a replacement unit.

Reactions: HenryDJP

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
No problems here. Everything works as it should and I love the huge trackpad. Placing my palms on the trackpad on purpose doesn't matter, the trackpad still registers all input perfectly. If it's not working for the both of you, you may need to consider sending it back to Apple for a replacement unit.
same no issues here. I didn't even notice that my palms are resting on the trackpad.

Cache

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
My trackpad accidentally registers the indicated part of my palm all the time:
I get what you're saying, but it seems strange nonetheless. Again, mine is having none of that, though I have a 13" one whereas yours is a 15" one judging from your previous image?

SamAshleyBlogs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Seems better since going into accessibility settings (WHY?!) and changing the "dragging" setting. Unsure what that's a thing that needs done or why it resides in "accessibility" now. But okie doke.

appleuserfan

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2014
Same problem but I solved it "working" in the accessibility preferences, under trackpad section. Not sure of why/how but...now he works.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
Had lots of trouble with this on mine, but it may have been a hardware defect. I haven't tried on others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.