Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
I was on the StrapCode.com site and noticed they have a new type of Apple Watch adapter featured. Right now it comes in a brushed 316L SS and also in a PVD black 316L SS. It stick down from the base further, and it has a similar but different lock mechanism from the adapters we have come to know.

They show it here featured with a Perlon strap threaded through it (clearly for those days you don't care about using the sensors) and also with some tartan watch bands on the adapter spring pin to show the versatility of this adapter style. $50/$60 bucks depending on finish and comes with a Perlon band and spring pins.

http://www.strapcode.com/store/apple-watch-c-310.html?infoBox=5

If you are curious how this adapter works with the Apple Watch watch their video located further down on this page: http://www.strapcode.com/store/appl...on-watch-strap-combo-p-4093.html#.VpmcDRF0FEc

Not sure how I feel about brushed SS with my polished SS watch. The site has several watch reference photos (below video) showing the adapters in use on bands. I could possibly see having one of these adapters to switch out with if I decide I don't think the brushed look would bother me. If it takes Perlon bands, I would have to wonder if the Nato strap bands would also work with it.

Curious what everyone thinks.
[doublepost=1452908496][/doublepost]Should add that these 42mm adapters give you a 20mm lug area for your straps. Not seeing 38mm adapters listed.
[doublepost=1452909097][/doublepost]They also sell extra PVD Black finished spring bars that would work in this adapter:

http://www.strapcode.com/store/rare...uty-telescope-spring-p-1307.html#.VpmhoRF0FEc

Last edited:

ftlum

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
It's hard to tell for sure, but the video makes it look like the strap would be blocking the sensor!

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
It's hard to tell for sure, but the video makes it look like the strap would be blocking the sensor!

Yes, that is correct. I mentioned that above when I commented
They show it here featured with a Perlon strap threaded through it (clearly for those days you don't care about using the sensors) and also with some tartan watch bands on the adapter spring pin to show the versatility of this adapter style. $50/$60 bucks depending on finish and comes with a Perlon band and spring pins.

Not everybody cares about using the sensors all the time so the fact that you can also put a band on the spring pins and use it with the sensors exposed does give you that extra flexibility.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I like the adaptors. But the straps leave me cold. If you don't use the sensors, you don't get your texts, emails, or any of the other things that makes it a smart watch.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Other than the heart/pulse sensor (green lights) I don't know what the other sensors on the back do. Are/were they all suppose to be for fitness monitoring? I remember reading originally there was suppose to be other ways to monitor things but those features got pulled before launch due to reliabilty or such. I for one don't check my pulse that often and am not presently using the fitness app so figured no big deal if occasionally I would want to wear a Perlon or Nato strap using these StrapCo adapters covering the sensors. I thought maybe the acelerometer, gyroscope, bluetooth antenna etc didn't need the use of the back and as such wouldn't be affected so you could still get notifications, etc.--all of those are in your phone and there's no sensors on your phone requiring it to stay in contact with your body after all.

I mentioned the adapter to my husband who said he wasn't sure, he doesn't have the watch, but he said depending on how Apple configured things it's possible if the sensor, which is designed to have light absorbed through your skin, didn't get a reading, it might keep trying to get one and run through the battery. He also asked that if the watch couldn't detect it was on your wrist, wouldn't it lock on you? All good thoughts. Given the lugs spacing is only 20mm, there's no way you could do a cut out on a band like on the 42mm cuff Hermes band.

You can still wear the adapter and just use the spring pins to attach watch bands but these questions do raise some concerns about threading anything through it. Hmmm.

Anyone out there have any knowledge on the sensors on the watch? Curious now.

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
The sensors are how the watch knows it's on your wrist. If you have a card loaded into Apple Pay and the watch thinks it's off your wrist, it'll lock.

Strapcode's inclusion of these straps shows a total disregard to how the Watch works. They've had over a year to pay attention, but they didn't. Inexcusable.

Phisherman81

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
I've threaded a full Nate strap onto my Apple Watch adapters and blocked the sensors. It still knows it's on your wrist and everything works but the heart rate monitor. It would thereby affect health tracking results but if that's not a concern, the watch performs fine.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I've threaded a full Nate strap onto my Apple Watch adapters and blocked the sensors. It still knows it's on your wrist and everything works but the heart rate monitor. It would thereby affect health tracking results but if that's not a concern, the watch performs fine.
Hmm. Double-hmm. I've got a 22mm NATO which I hardly use on my other watches, and it'll fit on some other adapters…

Last edited:

ftlum

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011

If you block the sensors, then don't you have to enter your password every time you want to do more than just check the time?

Phisherman81

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
If you block the sensors, then don't you have to enter your password every time you want to do more than just check the time?

It stays unlocked. It doesn't detect skin, just proximity like how your iPhone screen turns off when you hold it to your face.

Lol, I just realized that my keyboard autocorrected nato to Nate.

Last edited:

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Hmm. StrapCode normally makes (or gets) good quality stuff. But I kinda hate these adapters - personal bias, just don't like them sticking out so far.

But what's weird is, their pictures on the site show the adapters with no locking mechanism whatsoever. Don't know if they thought it wasn't pretty enough, or if the beauty shots used prototypes. If you watch their video you can see the adapters with the locking mechanism. Looks like a pretty tight fit, I get the impression they're struggling just a bit to install them.

The really weird part on the video is the narration - it's done in very well-inflected/accented English, but with a very steady pacing, and MANY of the minor plural-mismatch and similar mistakes one finds in machine translations of Asian languages to English. Conclusion: either they got a native English speaker to read the script and insisted on absolutely no changes whatsoever, or they've got a text-to-speech program that speaks even better than Siri.

Oh, side note, PVD spring bars won't buy you anything at all, unless you're using a watch strap you can see through to a significant extent - the only ones that come to mind are some of the Ploprof-style "Shark" chain mesh divers straps (which StrapCode sells, BTW) that would look pretty out of place on the Apple Watch anyway. Normally spring bars are completely covered by the watch strap - especially when used on "drilled" lugs, such as these adapters have (since you remove them by poking a pin in through the end of the lug, there's no need to have clearance to wedge something between the lug and strap).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.