Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
Back in 2014 when Apple introduced a barometer chip on the iPhone 6, I wrote a quick data logger app called Barograph which would plot the atmospheric pressure from the barometer chip. Being a bit of a weather nerd, I built the app because thought it was cool to be able to collect meteorological data with an iPhone and I released it for free to see if anybody would find it useful. I believe I was the first app to demonstrate this new barometer capability and I got some attention for it.

The app was simple but developed a bit of a following. To my surprise, 10 years later, I realized via Apple analytics it was still installed on roughly 25k devices. I thought that an app with such a following deserved a bit of TLC so I spent a week teaching myself Swift and recently released a major update of my original Barometer app, Barograph 2.0!

It's really amazing how much easier creating an app with SwiftUI was vs. the legacy method with interface builder and storyboards. I highly encourage anybody who is interested in programming and hasn't played around with Xcode to give it a shot. The barrier to entry is the lowest it's ever been!

Anyway, I wanted to promote my new app on here in case anybody is interested in checking it out. I'd be grateful to hear some feedback from the community!

Please check it out and let me know what you think!

Reactions: coffeemilktea
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.