Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweener88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Im EVERYWHERE!
Hey everyone! Im a TOTAL noob when it comes to photoshop. I use iphoto alot but photoshop has always intimidated me lol. I have lightroom and im trying to change the color of an object, in this case its the color of a wall in the picture. ANy ideas at how this is done? iv searched google with no luck :confused:

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Many different ways. In no particular order

1) Use the quick selection tool to select the wall, create a hue saturation layer using the selection as a mask and move the hue slider

2) Use select color range to select the wall, then change as above

3) Eyedropper the wall, then choose image->adjustments->replace color

There are many other ways to do this, these are just a few. Some options work better than others depending on the contents of the picture.

To master PS requires hours (and in some cases years) of playing. Learning how to change to color of a wall is a good place to start playing.

EDIT: Do you mean LR or PS? The thread says lightroom, you say you own lightroom, but you also talk about PS. If you need instructions for LR, sorry, very little experience there.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Lightroom wasn't really meant to be able to handle this kind of thing, a very specific local change. There are 2 ways I can think of to try to get the effect, however:

1) use the hue sliders to change the hue of the wall to a different color. The problem with this is that everything in the picture that is the wall's color will get changed as well

2) try to mask off the wall with the local adjustments brush and then apply a color cast to alter the color. Depending on what color you want and what color the wall currently is, you may or may not get the result you imagined.

Ruahrc

Sweener88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2006
Im EVERYWHERE!
okay well im trying to use photoshop now (NOT lightroom or aperature which were failed attempts lol) and if figured out how to select things and change the color but is there a way to change specific colors without selecting an object? like if someones shirt is green can i change the shirt without manually tracing it?

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Yes, there are several ways for that. You can click 'Select' in the menu bar and 'Color Range'. Then use the eye dropper to select the color you want to change. Adjust the Fuzziness until the proper amount is shown. Then do Image>Adjustments>Hue & Saturation.

You could also just go straight to Hue and Saturation and click the drop down box that says 'Master' and change it to the color you want to change (Or I suppose any color you want since you'll change it in a little bit). You can then move the mouse pointer (It will change to an eyedropper) to the color you want to change and click it. Now just adjust the sliders to change the color.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.