Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
This is a newb question sorry I am very new to this. What in the DSLR camera's make the picture quality so great. I always thought that Megapixels were what made the picture quality look great (even though it's essentially the resolution, just comparing it to computer res the greater the better). I know that is not true now because I see pictures on here taken on 6.0 MP and lower and they look 100's of times better then my sony 10MP DSC-N2. I know this information must be online somewhere I just don't know where to start looking. If someone could at least point me in the right direction that would be cool.

EDIT:

Nevermind I looked it up on wikipedia and I got all the answers. Thanks anyhow.

the Helix

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2003
well...

The short answer is that a great part of it is due to the lens (or "glass").

99.9% of what makes an exposure (a photograph) great is the lighting. I am of course only referring to the technical aspect of the picture. If however, we were to speak about the artistic and creative dimension of a picture, than the answer would be a lot more involved.

In any case, the ability of a dSLR's optics and body to allow light to enter (through the glass) and to manipulate how it enters (f-stop, shutter speed, etc... of the body) is what allows it to produce a far better picture than a typical point and shoot (p & s).

bertpalmer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2007
It's mainly down to the sensor and lens.

In a DSLR - the sensor is about an inch across whereas on a point and shot it is typically abotu 5mm.

So, if they have the same amount of megapixels the DSLR will get a better quality picture because they pixels are larger and receive more light.

Then you have the lens glass which is incomparable compared to many small point and shoots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.