Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xreliable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
I was wondering if there is any software that I could use to connect my Macbook to my digital camera and remote control it? The idea being that I could have a larger screen to look at while I'm setting up the picture and make adjustments to the settings instead of trying to work with the tiny buttons and screen on the camera?

I saw this done with a Nikon on PC but I'd prefer to use Mac and if possible my Canon A640 camera. Though I'd consider switching cameras if there is a good Mac option that won't work with this Canon.

TIA for any insights.
Paul

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
What kind of camera do you have? If it's an SLR then no. If it's a point and shoot, then probably no.

There's Nikon Camera Control for Mac which lets you adjust everything on the camera pretty much, but if you have an SLR then it won't be able to display what the camera is seeing. In fact, I don't know if it can even do that with Nikon's point and shoots.

xreliable

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
It is a Canon Powershot A640. You can adjust all of the settings like a traditional film camera, film speed, f stop, adjust the white balance etc.

I wouldn't be happy about it, but I'd be open to changing cameras if Nikon was the only option.

What kind of camera do you have? If it's an SLR then no. If it's a point and shoot, then probably no.

There's Nikon Camera Control for Mac which lets you adjust everything on the camera pretty much, but if you have an SLR then it won't be able to display what the camera is seeing. In fact, I don't know if it can even do that with Nikon's point and shoots.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was wondering if there is any software that I could use to connect my Macbook to my digital camera and remote control it? The idea being that I could have a larger screen to look at while I'm setting up the picture and make adjustments to the settings instead of trying to work with the tiny buttons and screen on the camera?

I saw this done with a Nikon on PC but I'd prefer to use Mac and if possible my Canon A640 camera. Though I'd consider switching cameras if there is a good Mac option that won't work with this Canon.

TIA for any insights.
Paul

Have you tried Canon's software that came with your camera? I think it will do what you want, at least with some Canons The Canon software is free and if you don't have the current version you can get it from Canon's web site.

Nikon's software runs on a Mac. but their camera control software only works with SLRs

Image Capture, which you already have on your Mac will remotely trip the shutter via the USB cable but that's all the control you get. But not all camera are able to be controlled like this. Apple has a list of supported camera on their support web site

Apple's Aperture has a feature to allow tethered shoting. More detail on their site
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1085

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.