Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikey79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Hi gang. I am new here.

I need to buy a good camera for my cousin in Russia. Iam having a hard time to deside on what to get for him. Here are my choices

Canon Xti $aprox 500 w/ a lens
Nikon D40 $aporx 340 w/ a lense
Nikon D60 $ aprox 500 w/ a lense

He doesn't know whole a lot about photography neither do I. All I know he has been looking to buy a semi professional camera.

Here is what I am looking for (any comments welcome) a good quality/reliability camera that makes good pictures and clicks fast.

Also since he is in Russia, my question is, does it comes w/ a Russian translation manual, also does it need any specific software to operate. Like I said I don't know anything about this stuff, just looking to buy him a nice present.

Hierotochan

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
Go for the Canon,

I've been a photographer for 10 years & I'd never go back to Nikon.
They are robust & hold their value well.

Mikey79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
I really want to buy him Canon, it's just a bit pricey. the cheapest deal i could find is $450.

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
I know you wouldn't like this kind of suggestion, but try looking for a good Pentax/Sony/Olympus as well..
a Pentax K10D for instance, I believe they're weather sealed, I just thought about it reading Russia, they take great pictures as well, while the ones you asked about are more for starters, I believe. Either way, anything you choose should be just fine.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Can't comment much on the Canon but the main difference between the D40 and the D60 is that the D60 has a higher megapixel count, which is not going to be an issue unless your cousin plans on printing a lot of large format stuff over about 8"x10" so unless that is the case I would recommend the D40.

Where are you getting those prices from? They seem a little on the cheap side.

NinjaMonkey

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Maryland
Any of those cameras will take great pictures. Personally I like the feel of the Nikon's better. Canon's low end models feel kind of cheap to me.

Mikey79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Can't comment much on the Canon but the main difference between the D40 and the D60 is that the D60 has a higher megapixel count, which is not going to be an issue unless your cousin plans on printing a lot of large format stuff over about 8"x10" so unless that is the case I would recommend the D40.

Where are you getting those prices from? They seem a little on the cheap side.

He might making larger pics for portraits and stuff, who knows. Prices, well I am a very good shopper, lets put it this way.:D

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
Go for the Canon,

I've been a photographer for 10 years & I'd never go back to Nikon.
They are robust & hold their value well.

:rolleyes:

Go for the Nikon.

I have been a photographer for over 20 years and I would never go back to Canon.

They are awesome and hold their value.

See how ridiculous that is.

OP both brands are nice and more than capable for a beginner(the models you mentioned). I prefer Nikon. That is my personal choice, but Canon makes nice ones as well. Just do some research and skip over the fanboys opinions for any specific make.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm going to second the recommendation for Pentax, since he could surely pick up good, cheap Pentax lenses in Russia. Pentax was well represented in Slavic countries, and lots of old K-Mount lenses are out there for the taking at great prices, if not free.

Modern Pentax DSLR cameras can use (and meter with) any Pentax lens ever made. Any lenses with a K-Mount don't even require an adapter to mount, and there are a lot of those on the used market.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
OP...Sorry, but I wouldn't consider any of those choices "semi-pro". Hopefully your budget will allow a jump in performance/features.

If I were you, I would go to Nikonians.org... click the "I want to sell" forum ... and look for a used Nikon D80...or even a D70.

Or for Canon....go to fredmiranda.com and look for a used Canon 20D or 30D or 40D(!).

Someone just sold a mint condition (less than 2000 clicks) D90 for $750. That cam rocks!

Good luck....

Hierotochan

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2008
:rolleyes:
See how ridiculous that is.

Black Macbook 2.4GHz 4GB, iPod touch, Time Capsule, MobileMe...
Who's the fanboy now?

Look I put down a quick post to give my opinion, which was what was asked.
I use Canon SLRs for my work, I also have a nice little Sony T700 for P&S shots.

I've been using Canon for a long time now & I truly feel that their menu system, features & quality are the best for the money.
As for being a "Pro" camera, not so long ago a "Pro" was using 5Mp digital.
Nearly every photo you've seen was taken on something older than what is out now.
You can take great shots on a Holga, you can take bad shots on an Eos 1.

Get any camera & spend as much time as possible snapping.

If you're looking for old lenses then any Canon lens will fit their DSLRs,
got a few good deals on eBay. For a cheap fish-eye look at Peleng.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.