Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shizz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
When working in manual setting on the body and lens. Should my shutter speed and aperture value change after each exopsure? For example if I'm taking a pic of a can and set my numbers it takes that pic. But the numbers switch on there own right after. So I have to set them again for the next exposure. Just to take a pic of the same can. What am I doing wrong.??? I'm using a pentax k-x dslr with the 18-55mm kit lens. Thanks in advance

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
When working in manual setting on the body and lens. Should my shutter speed and aperture value change after each exopsure? For example if I'm taking a pic of a can and set my numbers it takes that pic. But the numbers switch on there own right after. So I have to set them again for the next exposure. Just to take a pic of the same can. What am I doing wrong.??? I'm using a pentax k-x dslr with the 18-55mm kit lens. Thanks in advance

If the numbers are switching on their own, you're not in manual mode. In fact, it sounds like you are in a fully automatic mode (or program mode at least).

A quick overview of the manual and semi-manual modes:

Tv (shutter priority): you control the shutter speed, and the camera controls aperture based on the ISO speed you've set; use this mode when you absolutely need to stop motion or otherwise need a specific shutter speed

Av (aperture priority): you control the aperture size, and the camera controls shutter speed based on the ISO speed you've set; use this when you want fine control over depth of field, and have enough light to ensure adequate shutter speed

M (full manual): you control everything; I would suggest learning this mode as well as you can. You presumably bought a DSLR because you wanted more control over your images; well, here's your chance. There certainly are good reasons to use Av or Tv mode (such as when you're shooting subjects in constantly changing light), but learning to use M mode effectively is an important skill.

shizz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
Edge100. Thanks for the quick responce but i am in manual. The dial on the body is set to M and on the side of the lens it's set to MF.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Edge100. Thanks for the quick responce but i am in manual. The dial on the body is set to M and on the side of the lens it's set to MF.

That's strange then.

Is the camera actually changing the exposure of the image or is it just suggesting new settings? I'm not familiar with Pentax specifically. On Canon bodies there's a little exposure indicator on the right side or bottom of the viewfinder which, when in M mode the camera, indicates the exposure relative to 0EV, which is proper exposure. So if the proper exposure is ISO 100, f/16, 1/100 and you are set to ISO 100, f/11, 1/100, the camera will indicate an overexposure of 1EV, but it wont change your settings to correct this.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
You're not by any chance hitting the green button?
That'll automatically change your variables to get a correct exposure when in M.

The only other real reason I can think of is if you're in exposure bracket mode.
After each exposure, it'll change your exposure settings.
(It'll take one neutral, one over exposed and one underexposed, something like 0 + - ).

The option should be found in the menu with burst settings, 2 second timer (mirror lock up), 10 second timer, etc.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The only other real reason I can think of is if you're in exposure bracket mode.
After each exposure, it'll change your exposure settings.
(It'll take one neutral, one over exposed and one underexposed, something like 0 + - ).

I'm betting it's this. If you take 3 or 4 pictures, do the exposure values cycle in a repeating sequence?

shizz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2010
the bracketing was turned on making my settings change. turned it off and they stopped changing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.