Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nhaque

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Hi all, I've decided to step up to dslr, the Nikon d60. I'm looking for an all-in-one lens for it, and since I'm totally new to the whole photography business, I want to keep the price as reasonable as possible.

I'm thinking of getting the Sigma 28-70mm F2.8-4 DG and would likely make a trip down to the US and A to get it, since the price there is much cheaper (I believe it's around 100USD down there?) while in Canada it's 200CAN.

I think I'll just be shooting normal pictures (like a point and shoot) not macro or tele or anything, so does this lens suit my needs? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated, as I am totally new to photography and would really like to learn more.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Hi all, I've decided to step up to dslr, the Nikon d60. I'm looking for an all-in-one lens for it, and since I'm totally new to the whole photography business, I want to keep the price as reasonable as possible.

I'm thinking of getting the Sigma 28-70mm F2.8-4 DG and would likely make a trip down to the US and A to get it, since the price there is much cheaper (I believe it's around 100USD down there?) while in Canada it's 200CAN.

I think I'll just be shooting normal pictures (like a point and shoot) not macro or tele or anything, so does this lens suit my needs? Any suggestion is greatly appreciated, as I am totally new to photography and would really like to learn more.

Bad idea. While that lens may have been ok on a film body the smaller size of the sensor in the D60 means that you would have no wide-angle coverage. Some suggestions would be the 18-55 kit lens which is ok, the 18-70mm DX which is pretty good, the sigma 17-70 f2.8/4.5 HSM VERSION!, or any of the other lenses which cover this kind of range, they have varying quality, generally with price. The ones I have mentioned I know are reasonable. By the sounds of it your budget fits the 18-55mm. It's fine for general snapshots.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
You might also be interested in Sigma's 18-50 f/2.8 HSM. HSM indicates that the lens has a `hypersonic motor' (Nikon calls it AF-S, Canon USM, Olympus SWM, etc.) which is necessary to use the AF on your D60.

nhaque

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Thanks for the insights,
While the 18-55 kit lens is actually very good considering its price, its maximum f stops is however at 3.5, I'm afraid that it would not be good at night (correct me if I'm wrong). As for the sigma, it is simply too expensive :D.

leighonigar, I believe the 17-70 you're talking of is the one with f/3.5, because I can't find any 17-70 that has 2.8

Although money is the main factor, I think I can go up to 300 top.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the insights,
While the 18-55 kit lens is actually very good considering its price, its maximum f stops is however at 3.5, I'm afraid that it would not be good at night (correct me if I'm wrong). As for the sigma, it is simply too expensive :D.

leighonigar, I believe the 17-70 you're talking of is the one with f/3.5, because I can't find any 17-70 that has 2.8

The 18-55 isn't bad at night - it's a fine lens for the price Don't think that a lens is bad because of its aperature range!

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

There's less than a stop from f/3.5 to f/2.8, so it depends a lot on where it goes past f/3.5 and what focal length you're going to shoot at. I'd suggest starting with the kit lens and shooting for at least a month or two before you try to go to another lens, as by then you'll know where the sweet spot is for you.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Nikon d60. ...Sigma 28-70mm F2.8-4 DG ....so does this lens suit my needs?...

Don't know "your needs" but 28mm on a Nikon D60 is not really a very wide angle. I'd want a lens that opens up to about 20mm On the other end, 70mm really is long enough for most shots.

I think my Nikon 18-70 is about right but it's not fast enough. So I also have the 50mm and 85mm. You might consider the Nikon "kit" lens and then in addition pick up a fster prime for low light. With a d60 you'd need a third party lens with a focus motor. A fast 30mm lens would work well. I always advise to get the "ket" llens because they are such a good deal. then shoot 1,000 or so frames, then get a second lens.

Everyone wants a high quality "does everything" lens that is fast and cheap. There is no such lens. That's why they make interchangeable lenses

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Thanks for the insights,

Sorry, I stuck a slash in when I should have put a dash. It's 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 as the lens trucks through.

What do you mean, 'at night'? VR helps, but surely you'd be putting the camera down?

nhaque

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Well I thought that to shoot in low light one needs a lens that has big aperture, (my friend told me f/2.8 would be good) that is why I did not consider the kit lens. Now I guess I'm just getting the kit lens and practice.

Thanks for all the input. Thread can be closed now.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004

It is variable aperture. It opens to 2.8 only at 17mm.

I have the non-HSM version. MUCH more usable than a lens that zooms only up to 55mm.

nhaque

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Sorry to bother you guys again.
I was thinking of buy this Nikkor 18-105mm f3.5 -5.6 with VR for an all-in-one lens for the following reasons (please please correct me if I'm wrong)

- No crop factor because this is a DX, so effective focal is 18-105mm, which is good I think, for landscape and portrait, basically a normal purpose lens.

-The f-stops are adequate even at night

Also, just to clarify, this lens won't be able to macro, or shoot at extreme low light? (I'm saying this because those are not my purpose, at least for now, if the above lens is not capable of anything else please educate me :) )

Sorry if these are the 'generic, everytime' type of questions, or that I bug you alot, I'm only a student so money...is everything :p, I want to make every purchase count.

P/s Or you can just recommend an all-in-one and I will consider it. (it's all learning I guess ^__^)

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
-The f-stops are adequate even at night
Erm not actually, Its just okay, you will need to boost up your ISO to make it adequate, for night, you will need Aperture f2.8 or wider.

But that lens should be okay, Im using a Canon ket lens on my 1000D and it has the same aperture range as the lens you describe, just that I need to crank it up to ISO1600.

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I'm not 100% sure about this, as I'm not as familiar with Nikon's terminology, but my understanding is that the 18-105 will still have the crop focal lengths because of your body, not the lens. So it'll be 27-157.5 or whatever still.

DX is Nikon's term for crop, isn't it? Thus the lens should still have the crop focal lengths.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Sorry to bother you guys again.
I was thinking of buy this Nikkor 18-105mm f3.5 -5.6 with VR for an all-in-one lens for the following reasons (please please correct me if I'm wrong)

- No crop factor because this is a DX, so effective focal is 18-105mm, which is good I think, for landscape and portrait, basically a normal purpose lens.

You're wrong. DX is about the image circle size, the crop factor is still a crop factor, based on the angle of view- which is 1.5x the focal lengths.

Start with the kit lens and see what you like to shoot and how it does or doesn't perform in the conditions you actually shoot in- then you'll know if you need longer, shorter, faster, lighting, whatever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.