Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brian Clifford

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
I am a newbie about to take the leap for the very first time from Windows to Mac with the purchase of a 2nd. Gen. MacBook Pro expected around December 2017.

My questions are if I wish to download videos wirelessly from iCloud via the MacBook Pro to a HDTV, or playback videos from the Macbook Pro directly to a HDTV what will I need apart from the MacBook Pro and iCloud?

Also, as an alternative to wireless playback, would readers consider a HDMI connection between the MacBook Pro and the HDTV, or simply using DVDs an easier way forward?

I should add I want to benefit from all Hardware and Software being within the Apple ecosystem, if possible.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
Wireless playback require a TV set with wifi or Bluetooth,. If you don't already have that,a HDMI cable with necessary adapter ( some cables have adapters for macs included) will be a much cheaper choice.

Reactions: Brian Clifford

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
You need a HDTV that supports airplay (I don't know of any), or an Apple TV box connected to the TV via HDMI. We use Apple TV boxes as I didn't want to be subject to the whims of smart HDTV manufactures. You can also connect the Mac directly to the TV via an HDMI cable or wireless HDMI boxe$.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201343

Last edited:

Brian Clifford

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
You need a HDTV that supports airplay (I don't know of any), or an Apple TV box connected to the TV via HDMI. We use Apple TV boxes as I didn't want to be subject to the whims of smart HDTV manufactures. You can also connect the Mac directly to the TV via an HDMI cable or wireless HDMI boxe$.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201343

Thanks very much for that information ColdCase.

joema2

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2013
....My questions are if I wish to download videos wirelessly from iCloud via the MacBook Pro to a HDTV, or playback videos from the Macbook Pro directly to a HDTV what will I need apart from the MacBook Pro and iCloud?...

An AppleTV "set top box" can receive videos wirelessly via AirPlay from an iOS device or MacBook. You can also use AirDrop to transfer files wirelessly between iOS and Mac devices -- this is without setting up file sharing or all the other usual complexity.

AirPlay has two separate modes: (1) It can wirelessly accept screen sharing from an iOS device or Mac, (2) If a video is played from an iOS or Mac and AirPlay is invoked, it invisibly hands the video URL over to the Apple TV which then pulls the data stream itself without going through the mobile device.

AirPlay is pretty fast and relatively lag-free as wireless video goes, but it does depend on your wireless network if used in mode #1 (screen sharing), so in that case HDMI might be faster if your WiFi network is slow. If sharing video via AirPlay it's only dependent on the network access speed of the AppleTV itself, which can be either wired or wireless, depending on the setup.

Brian Clifford

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
An AppleTV "set top box" can receive videos wirelessly via AirPlay from an iOS device or MacBook. You can also use AirDrop to transfer files wirelessly between iOS and Mac devices -- this is without setting up file sharing or all the other usual complexity.

AirPlay has two separate modes: (1) It can wirelessly accept screen sharing from an iOS device or Mac, (2) If a video is played from an iOS or Mac and AirPlay is invoked, it invisibly hands the video URL over to the Apple TV which then pulls the data stream itself without going through the mobile device.

AirPlay is pretty fast and relatively lag-free as wireless video goes, but it does depend on your wireless network if used in mode #1 (screen sharing), so in that case HDMI might be faster if your WiFi network is slow. If sharing video via AirPlay it's only dependent on the network access speed of the AppleTV itself, which can be either wired or wireless, depending on the setup.

A very comprehensive answer to my questions joema2. Thanks very much. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.