Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I had spotted a previous example for sale on UK ebay a fairly rare 1Ghz last gen model in excellent shape, but missing the distinctive silver headed power lead, hard drive, box and accessories. The seller was actually unsure if it worked or not, but condition did look like new. That ended up selling for £95 in the end.

spotted this boxed example for sale in Italy instead, first time I’ve ever seen the TiBooks box before actually. This one is a 667Mhz DVI Model with the slightly high resolution screen, DVI connector and a 32MB GPU. Offered 140 euro for it and offer was accepted.

it seems to be with box and all little accessories. The only real downside for me is it has a QWERTZ keyboard instead of a QWERTY, but I plan to just do a straight over swap.

My question regarding this is did the internal connector on TiBooks ever change or are they all a universal fit regardless if the revisions came out in 2001 2002.

Thanks

free picture upload site

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I wouldn't do that. Better to keep it all-original IMHO.

The keyboard has multiple lettered keys which aren’t used in the English language, the layout is also not what I’m use to at all, it wouldn’t be practical for me. The British layout replacement is about £10 on ebay and is easily removable the entire thing just sits on a rubber membrane.

Two screws under the function keys and the entire thing lifts off And disconnects.

I’ve got to have a machine I can type on though . Will keep the old keyboard in the box or something.

Attachments

• F6178B2C-40FB-486F-8E8F-22F57CB8E0E5.jpeg
    F6178B2C-40FB-486F-8E8F-22F57CB8E0E5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Reactions: Project Alice

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I would replace like with like to be on the safe side. DVI TiBook keyboards with DVI Keyboards, Mercury and Onyx resp. with Mercury and Onyx. Apple has tended to make minor changes between revisions and you might find the keyboard connector not quite in the right place.

iFixit has replacement guides with photos. You can compare the placement of your keyboard connector with those of other TiBooks and see if they look the same.

Reactions: Amethyst1

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Looking at MSata IDE adapters for it does Anyone know of any which will work?

i was thinking something simple like this

Docooler mSATA to 2.5" 44Pin Leg/IDE SSD HDD mSATA to Leg Adapter Box Converter

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Looking at MSata IDE adapters for it does Anyone know of any which will work?

i was thinking something simple like this

Docooler mSATA to 2.5" 44Pin Leg/IDE SSD HDD mSATA to Leg Adapter Box Converter

That uses the J20330 converter so should work just fine. The Lycom adapter quoted below is a better adapter but it all depends upon how much you want to sink into this. If it is for occasional use, I would go for the cheapest adapter I could find that would work.

In any case, either of those two adapters contain the mounting needed to hold the adapter in place in your PowerBook.

Akulareb

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2020
That uses the J20330 converter so should work just fine. The Lycom adapter quoted below is a better adapter but it all depends upon how much you want to sink into this. If it is for occasional use, I would go for the cheapest adapter I could find that would work.

In any case, either of those two adapters contain the mounting needed to hold the adapter in place in your PowerBook.
I had better ide speeds time to time with the lycom as it uses a Marvell controller, but yeah overall they perform pretty similar

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I had better ide speeds time to time with the lycom as it uses a Marvell controller, but yeah overall they perform pretty similar
The Lycom has also a better voltage stepper, so should run a tad cooler if you have a particularly toasty mSATA. The latter do vary although most these days should run cool enough.

Reactions: Amethyst1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.