Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

metamaestro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 20, 2015
Three days ago, I created a new folder with 10 files in PhotoShop CC 2015. These files were created on one of three internal, data-only drives. I have a MacPro running OSX 10.9.5, with 14gbs or RAM.

Yesterday, I opened Photoshop to look at these files. They all are listed in Photoshop's Recently Opened list, but when I tried to open them, it says File not Found.

So, I open Finder, but the directory and all files are missing. I searched with Spotlight and EasyFind, but they returned no results.

I ran Disk Warrior thinking that perhaps the directory for this drive got corrupted, but the files did not show up.

I have two backups of this drive. One cloud-based on Backblaze that is updated throughout the day, and one on another internal drive the is updated every night with SuperDuper. Both of these backup drives are also missing these files. I assume this means that since I first created these new files, they somehow disappeared from my source drive and then were subsequently deleted from the back-ups when they were synced. I do not have a Time Machine drive.

I have run Disk Drill and Wondershare Data Recovery to try to locate and recover these files. The only files they have located are versions of these files created by Photoshop Autosave. These versions are not recoverable.

I have not opened or deleted any files on this drive since I created these files. Even if OSX or SuperDuper had a brain **** and deleted them, I would think they should be not have been overwritten and should be recoverable.

I have worked on Macs since 1994 and PhotoShop since 1998 and I am not aware of files spontaneously disappearing, as these have apparently done.

Any advice on:
1. What else I can try to find these files?

2. What might have caused them to go missing in the first place?

3. How to prevent this from happening in the future?

I am going to set up a TimeMachine drive which I assume would have helped in this instance since it is not synced in the same way as SuperDuper and Blackblaze, right?

Thanks.

Mac Pro (Early 2008), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.