Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mactabulous

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
With the advent of the new iMac Pro and the lack of user upgradeable RAM in those machines, will Apple remove this option for the next generation iMac as well? Obviously there's no way of knowing until the next generation comes along, but I'm having thoughts as to buying an iMac now, before it's too late(!). I'd hate to have to go through an iMac Pro RAM upgrade path if I do wait for the next gen.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The question:
"Next gen. iMac: no user RAM upgrades?"

There simply is no way to know or answer this until the new iMacs are released.

Next question?

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Who knows.

The tie-in question is probably whether Apple will adopt the plainly-superior cooling solution of the iMac Pro for the iMac 5K (and thus probably axe the RAM door for additional vents) or whether they will leave that as an iMac Pro-only perk.

Reactions: Glmnet1

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Obviously there's no way of knowing until the next generation comes along

Sadly, you’ve answered your own question here.

If however, they do move to an iMac Pro-style setup and trade better cooling for user-accessible RAM, you could always find a third party vendor who is still selling the 2017 iMac. Worst case scenario, if they are all sold out, you can just buy a used one from someone.

There are always people who buy a new ________ every year and sell the old one to help lower their costs.

Mactabulous

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Just trying to get a sense of what thoughts the community have on this. There are good reasons for leaving it the way it is now (ram accessible), and there are good reasons for moving to an iMac Pro approach (cooling and possibly other perks as well). Thanks for the input thus far.

Edit: grammar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.