Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

socialwill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
When you look at the rumored specs of the next iPad Mini, from a design and spec sheet it looks more like a smaller iPad Air. So what if Apple changes the name to just an iPad Air, but you have two sizes and the same color options? It kinda makes sense...

• iPad - Base model
  • iPad Air - General Use
    • 2 sizes
    • Same colors & tech specs
  • iPad Pro - Pro/Power Use
    • 2 sizes
    • Same colors & tech specs

dustin.haley

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
That is exactly what I was thinking. Same naming scheme as the Pro, just using Air
This would certainly mean the small Air would be updated more frequently than the current Mini, which has always been slower than all other iPad models to receive updates. With a more frequent/regular upgrade cycle (and bigger screen) I could see increased adoption of the Mini.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
If the mini screen gets bigger and especially with an altered aspect ratio, I wonder if it will still somehow use standard iPad-optimized apps (doesn’t seem likely if the aspect ratio is altered), or switch to iPad Air-optimized apps (assuming they have the same aspect ratio), or if it will actually get its own unique optimized apps (I don’t think likely).
In case anyone doesn’t know, the mini is a unique device in that I believe it’s the only one of Apple’s devices that doesn’t have its own optimized apps, but squeezes a larger device’s apps into its smaller screen, pixel for pixel, which does give it the advantage of being the highest ppi iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.