Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaylitzis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Hello,

If I am correct, the current iMac 27" model is (Mid 2017).
Is there any prediction when the next model (late 2017 or Early 2018) will be available?

Thanks a lot,
Yannis

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Hello,

If I am correct, the current iMac 27" model is (Mid 2017).
Is there any prediction when the next model (late 2017 or Early 2018) will be available?

Thanks a lot,
Yannis
Welcome to MacRumors! I notice you're new here, and something tells me you're considering a new 27" iMac?

We can all speculate, but no-one on here can give you a definitive answer to that question. I personally have not heard of an imminent change to the form factor, so if and when Apple decides to update the 27" iMac, it would probably mean CPU and graphics speed bumps, for which I'm sure you're aware, Apple depends on third party manufacturers vis-a-vis an expected timeline.

Alternatively, they could come out with a radical new design which in addition to the mentioned speed bumps, could mean an enhanced thermal design, some changes to the port line-up such as 10Gb/s Ethernet and/or additional USB-C ports, or perhaps even the inclusion of the T2 chip, and FaceId.

Sorry, I can't be more specific, but if you click on the Buyer's Guide, you'll see a great variance as far as update cycles are concerned. While the average for iMacs has been 371 days since mid 2011, it has been as fast as 147 days, and as excruciatingly slow as 601 days.

The best advice is, and always has been, unless there is a new machine about to come out, buy what you need, when you need it. Regardless, there'll always be something better coming after. Don't let that spoil your enjoyment.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWhaler

yaylitzis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Welcome to MacRumors! I notice you're new here, and something tells me you're considering a new 27" iMac?

Indeed, I need a new 27" iMac. I just wanted to know if a new version was about to come...
Thanks a lot for your reply! It was very helpful ! I note you last sentence:

The best advice is, and always has been, unless there is a new machine about to come out, buy what you need, when you need it. Regardless, there'll always be something better coming after. Don't let that spoil your enjoyment.

I wish you a nice weekend!

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Indeed, I need a new 27" iMac. I just wanted to know if a new version was about to come...

Best of Luck with your search. Be sure to check out Apple's awesome and unique Refurb Store.

Reactions: yaylitzis

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I agree, just buy what is available unless we know or rumors point very heavily to an update.

Apple tends to support their products for a fairly long time. Also their updates are generally incremental. This generally means previous year Mac owners aren't regretful for not waiting. Plus because of that Apple products have pretty good resale so in the event a new iMac came out with something that would benefit you selling your less than one year old Mac won't be such a devastating loss.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.