Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hydroxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2022
I have the most up to date firmware 15.6.1 on iPhone XR, however I cannot scan NFC cards. I have tried NFC Tools and a variety of other apps but have had no success. Does the iPhone still even work as a NFC reader / writer.

I've tried turning off and on, taking out of cover, resetting network settings and some other ideas, but no joy unfortunately.

Slartibart

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2020
Try:

• Signing out your Apple ID on the iPhone.
  • Then use Safari (or any other browser on whatever device) to go to iCloud.com, login with your Apple ID, and go to your account settings. Under the My Devices section at the bottom, click on the device you'd like to wipe Apple Pay from — you should see an Apple Pay logo next to any device set up with the service. Click on Remove All...
  • Sign into your Apple ID on your iPhone. Check wether NFC works with e.g. a NFC-capable credit card.
  • Reregister payment methods.

Last edited:

BATman.Berlin

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
California
NFC/RF chip reader function is limited to certain products that are approved by Apple. I believe the RF reader is bound to the security chip and therefore not a general purpose RF reader.

hydroxy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2022
NFC/RF chip reader function is limited to certain products that are approved by Apple. I believe the RF reader is bound to the security chip and therefore not a general purpose RF reader.
Where is this stated? I've seen countless NFC apps working in the past before. Have they recently changed that?

Try:

• Signing out your Apple ID on the iPhone.
  • Then use Safari (or any other browser on whatever device) to go to iCloud.com, login with your Apple ID, and go to your account settings. Under the My Devices section at the bottom, click on the device you'd like to wipe Apple Pay from — you should see an Apple Pay logo next to any device set up with the service. Click on Remove All...
  • Sign into your Apple ID on your iPhone. Check wether NFC works with e.g. a NFC-capable credit card.
  • Reregister payment methods.
Apple Pay is working 100% I should mention, its just when I try to use NFC to read/write my own NFC cards it does not work.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

It's been like that for a long time. Nobody but Apple has access to the iPhone NFC chip.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Seems to be a lot of confusion on this topic. NFC is not to be confused with mobile payments or Apple Pay, which is what the EU antitrust charge is about.

Yes, Apple Pay uses NFC, and that part of it is locked down. However, apps are free to read and write to certain kinds of NFC tags. It has been that way since 2019 / iOS 13.

OP, what kind of NFC tag are you using? Does it support one of the NFC tag protocols listed in the second link above? Or are you able to scan/read the NFC tag in an AirTag if you have one handy? (The NFC tag in an AirTag contains a URL.) That would at least tell you if your reader is working with a known supported tag.

Last edited:
Reactions: addamas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.