Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2022
When someone said Apple was restrictive, I wouldn't usually agree. Because when I used iP 13, I thought that I could do anything I wanted.

Now that I switched from Android to iPhone (14) again, I was disappointed when I couldn't use the contactless payment allowed by the bank application I used on Android.

Many times I appreciate Apple checking many things. Gecurity. But some things are funny.

Why doesn't Apple allow banks for NFC or contactless payment? Wouldn't it be great for iPhone users if it allowed it? Apple Pay is not available in my country, and maybe many. He was also getting commission; If I were a bank, I wouldn't easily agree to this.

Let's write to Apple to allow this.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
When someone said Apple was restrictive, I wouldn't usually agree. Because when I used iP 13, I thought that I could do anything I wanted.

Now that I switched from Android to iPhone (14) again, I was disappointed when I couldn't use the contactless payment allowed by the bank application I used on Android.

Many times I appreciate Apple checking many things. Gecurity. But some things are funny.

Why doesn't Apple allow banks for NFC or contactless payment? Wouldn't it be great for iPhone users if it allowed it? Apple Pay is not available in my country, and maybe many. He was also getting commission; If I were a bank, I wouldn't easily agree to this.

Why aren't you writing to your bank to ask them to support Apple Pay? Sounds like your bank is doing what's best for them and not its customers.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Don't ask, don't get? OP (and others) write to their banks, and the banks see there's interest in Apple Pay and approach Apple.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2022
@kitKAC, Yes, as @eyoungren said Apple Pay is not available in my country. So there is no point in writing to banks. On the other hand, Google Pay is also not available in my country. However, since Google allows them to use NFC, they can provide it themselves. They don't need anything else. If Apple did this too, if it didn't just keep a feature of the phone to itself in order to get a commission, I'm sure the banks I use would use the NFC contactless payment feature as in Android.

Last edited by a moderator:

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
@kitKAC, Yes, as @eyoungren said Apple Pay is not available in my country. So there is no point in writing to banks. On the other hand, Google Pay is also not available in my country. However, since Google allows them to use NFC, they can provide it themselves. They don't need anything else. If Apple did this too, if it didn't just keep a feature of the phone to itself in order to get a commission, I'm sure the banks I use would use the NFC contactless payment feature as in Android.

Simple solution: Google Phone.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
A 'Google Phone' is not an iPhone, which is what OP wants to use. With NFC, which Apple won't allow.

Next you will suggest that OP pack up his life and immigrate to a country that supports Apple Pay.

Yeah, I was going to suggest that.

Honestly, what are people supposed to say? He wants something that is not available where he lives. Three options are to either want something else, move to where the something is available, or simply accept reality.

Yamaha makes a motorcycle I want. Not available in the US. Honda makes a motorcycle I want. Not available in the US. I simply accept the reality that I'm not getting either one of those motorcycles. Complaining about the situation isn't going to help. I'm not naive enough to think either of those corporations cares about what I want (;

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah, I was going to suggest that.

Honestly, what are people supposed to say? He wants something that is not available where he lives. Three options are to either want something else, move to where the something is available, or simply accept reality.

Yamaha makes a motorcycle I want. Not available in the US. Honda makes a motorcycle I want. Not available in the US. I simply accept the reality that I'm not getting either one of those motorcycles. Complaining about the situation isn't going to help. I'm not naive enough to think either of those corporations cares about what I want (;
I don't think OP was necessarily searching for an actual solution, but just like anyone else here posting complaints about Apple, OP was posting his complaint. And hoping to spark discussion.

Unfortunately for OP, MacRumors users are largely people that live in countries with Apple Pay. So we don't really have anything to contribute that would give OP what they wish in OP's country and not a lot to discuss on the topic.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016

While I would appreciate Apple fully supporting NFC payments (as a financial markets person, I always try to remember options have intrinsic value), I don't really miss it much because of my tap-to-pay credit cards.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

Apple really should open up NFC for other apps for use with payments and for other uses. There is not strong justification for it other than them trying to block competition in payments. I’m surprised that the EU hasn’t pushed them to open up access, though that would likely only help people within the EU.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
I like Apple's closed system. Gives me confidence in the security of my data and maintains Apple's ability to ensure an excellent overall experience. Once you open a protocol to every jackwagon that writes an app you're asking for trouble. If this is too restrictive for some people, feel free to go with an Android phone.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I like Apple's closed system. Gives me confidence in the security of my data and maintains Apple's ability to ensure an excellent overall experience. Once you open a protocol to every jackwagon that writes an app you're asking for trouble. If this is too restrictive for some people, feel free to go with an Android phone.

Exactly. An alternative is available. Have at it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Exactly. An alternative is available. Have at it.
Yes…jailbreaking an iPhone/iPad is still a very viable solution.

No Android necessary.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle

Why would it matter to you if third-party apps are available to some people to use NFC? How does that affect you? You don't have to install those apps and sign up for that service.

Reactions: eyoungren

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Why would it matter to you if third-party apps are available to some people to use NFC? How does that affect you? You don't have to install those apps and sign up for that service.

Could say the same thing about Apple keeping NFC access to itself. People could just use Android instead of being grumpy and complaining about Apple.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Could say the same thing about Apple keeping NFC access to itself. People could just use Android instead of being grumpy and complaining about Apple.
So, just eat it or get out right? That's always the solution is it? No one can ever complain about Apple?

I sincerely hope that all the MacRumors users that complain about no new Mini, the removal of Touch ID and the removal of the phone jack hear you loud and clear.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
It doesn't affect me at all. It *potentially* affects Apple. The lads in Cupertino have total control over the operating system, hardware, and their own App Store. This system works well, exactly as it is now. No reason for Apple to change and allow any third party access without passing muster. Apple's game, Apple's rules. If that's too draconian for anybody, feel free to explore the alternatives away from iOS.

Reactions: monstermash

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I couldn't care less about any NFC payments other than Apple Pay. I'll write Apple and tell it that I support this restriction.

Thanks for the reminder!
We wouldn’t care because Apple Pay is supported in our countries. However I can see the OPs view point. I would care if Apple Pay wasn’t supported here.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
We wouldn’t care because Apple Pay is supported in our countries. However I can see the OPs view point. I would care if Apple Pay wasn’t supported here.

It's a "first world problem". If Apple Pay were not available in the US, my life would go on without missing a beat. Well, until I die for other reasons anyway.

I certainly wouldn't be inclined to spend what little time I have left on this planet trying to convince Apple to bring it here, or to get Congress to investigate or other such things. It would be more of a "meh...." and move on.

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2022
Thank you for the answers given. I think it was a mistake to try to create a public opinion here. Of course, that's not essential and it's not the end of the world. But I loved this feature, which I have been using for 1 month; and I hoped it would continue with the iPhone. This was disappointing. Because it was fun and comfortable. My phone was as important as an identity. I said, Apple sometimes listens to users, maybe think of something if write here. Sorry if I upset some of you.

Unfortunately, I cannot switch to an Android device because I want to shoot a video.

My other problem is 60hz is very bad. Maybe Apple will fix it on iPhone 15, I'll switch to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.